MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

4/28/16
I have an Apple Airport Extreme and notice that with Airport Utility (v6.36) when I click on my router it displays all my devices on my network. My Iphone, IMac, Ipad Air, and my Apple TV as well as PCs no longer on my network and that I no longer use. How can I remove these old ... (2 Comments)
4/28/16
Checking “Internet Plug Ins” folder in my Library, QuickTime plugin is in the “Disabled Plug-ins” folder. Is it incompatible with El Capitan? Is there an update of the plugin I need to install? Thanks. —– Steve ... (3 Comments)
4/28/16
I have the latest version of El Capitan and I use a 2015 iMac. How can I move emails from iCloud to On my Mac and keep only this years emails in iCloud? —– Stuart Damore ... (5 Comments)
4/28/16
I have an Airport Extreme w/Time Machine that is the primary router at one end of the house (only 2000sf). At the other end, an Airport Express to help extend the wireless network. When I check the Utility app, it tells me that AExpress is about 144mbs. Other times, it’s ... (3 Comments)
4/27/16
I want to export a custom size (6×9) set of slides from Keynote to pdf. Then I want to upload it to Createspace. So of course I need some margin for when the book is bound. When I open the pdf there is hardly any margin. How do I change the margin in ... (1 Comment)
4/25/16
I will be buying a new iPad Pro for my child in college. She has her own MBA, though all of our devices use a single Apple ID, mine. As it is now, all iOS devices I own for the family (same single Apple ID) get backed up on my MBP. This works fine, but the child in college ... (8 Comments)
4/22/16
I am a music DJ and wanted to know how I could use Apple Music with one of the virtual DJ apps or what software will work with Apple Music? —– Byron ... (1 Comment)
4/21/16
I am using iOS 9 on a iPhone 5s and sending to a iPhone 4. Settings for iMessage on both iPhones are the same. In iMessage settings I have ‘send as text’ when iMessage is not available. Sometimes when I send a message and I know the recipient is not on WiFi at the ... (1 Comment)
4/21/16
Trying to pair and hotspot iphone 6s plus and ipad air2. No luck they just do not see each other. Any advice? —– tom ... (1 Comment)
4/21/16
I recently received two emails (5-6 weeks apart) ostensibly from people in my address book each containing a link to an article. Something about the verbage alert me. I replied to one, asking if he had sent it. He never received my reply. I wrote a new email to the other, asking ... (3 Comments)
4/21/16
My Mac mini run a slower than I would like when opening office or Adobe acrobat or garage band or Anything I’ve been told to get a SSD so I bought one at best buy but they can’t install it What options are there for speeding up my mini? It has 16 GIGS and the 3.7 ... (4 Comments)
4/17/16
Emptying trash in El Capitan is rapid but is it permanent? In Yosemite one had the option of simply emptying the bib or emptying in irreversibly to prevent third party recovery. —– Alan ... (3 Comments)
4/17/16
I have hundreds of photos that were scanned from paper pictures, so the date on the photo is the date is was scanned, which is meaningless. I use the date to properly sort the pics into smart albums (1960s, for example), and in the right order in that album (i.e., ... (3 Comments)
4/16/16
Hi Gary, I just bought your new Keynote course on Udemy. It is fantastic! Quick question: what software did you use for screen capture purposes? I like Screenflow but it seems that you are using something else, according to the small icon on the top of your screen (small black ... (1 Comment)
4/15/16
On my Mac, I often go under the “Options” tab in “Get Info” for a song and select a start time further into the song to skip intros and such. How do I do this in iOS? —– Cameron ... (2 Comments)
4/14/16
MAIL/Window/Previous Recipients contains all the addresses that I would like to have Mail complete. The problem is that many addresses are not on this list but they still show up when I begin to type an address. I am paranoid about the wrong recipient getting all my important ... (4 Comments)
4/14/16
My iMac is running, El Capitan Version 10.11.4. I just restarted my Mac and my (2) two drives stoped showing up on my desktop. I have an external storage drive, so that my computer Hard Drive does not fill up and I have a External Drive that I use with “Time Machine” ... (1 Comment)
4/11/16
Great tutorial on Custom Menu Keyboard shortcuts – but what if the command in a sub menu or sub-sub menu item. What path do you enter then? —– Scott Leverenz ... (2 Comments)
4/11/16
I work in the IT field and get automated messages (both email and text) from different systems around-the-clock. Most are just informational but some are system down alerts which require immediate attention. I don’t want my iPhone chirping all night long but I want to be ... (1 Comment)
4/10/16
Mail (El Capitan) automatically purges my Inbox every month and, of course, I don’t want that to happen. Checking with my ISP shows a ‘rolling’ month of messages (only) on the server and they tell me nothing they do there could make this happen even if they ... (5 Comments)