MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

13″ MacBook Pro 2009 won’t boot from Snow Leopard DVD

Hi everyone

My MacBook Pro won’t boot from the 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD.
It reboots, then the apple logo shows up, it spins endlessly, and then the screen goes black. I press the power button, then I can hear the drive spinning, but nothing ever happens.

Any ideas?

Btw: Snow Leopard did not come with my machine.

— Tommy

Comments: 9 Responses to “13″ MacBook Pro 2009 won’t boot from Snow Leopard DVD”

14 years ago

Does your MacBook book with the DVD that came with it? If not, then the drive may be broken.
    Did you try inserting the Snow Leopard DVD (not rebooting, just while the MacBook is running normally) and then running the installer? It will then reboot your Mac, yes, but in a different way.
    Otherwise, sounds like you need a trip to the Genius Bar.

Tommy
    14 years ago

This is what I've tried so far:
    Insert Snow Leopard disc while OS X is running.
    Restart from there.

Mac will not boot from the SL DVD.
    Tried it by selecting Boot Disk. Etc.... Not working.
    (I've tried it with two different SL discs).

Weird thing is that it will boot from the Leopard disc that came with the machine.

What I think is really odd is that when the screen goes black, the white indicator (that indicates whether the mac is asleep or not) is off. I think the Mac is running, but the screen is off.

This never happened to me before. I'm probably going to take it in tomorrow. But I think I'm going to hold down the D key when I insert the disc that came with my Mac. I'm so glad that this thing is still under warranty.

14 years ago

Another possibility: The DVD is bad. It happens. Maybe it is just as simple as having them give you a replacement DVD.

Tommy
        14 years ago

I don't think the DVD is bad, because I have two Snow Leopard dvds (one for the iMac), I tried that dvd as well... Same thing.

Tommy
    14 years ago

Also:
    I have noticed before, that the time to boot from my Snow Leopard disc takes incredibly long.

Tommy
    14 years ago

The Answer:

The Mac did boot from the disc, it's just that the LED back lit didn't come back on... I needed a flash light to see anything...

I went back to 10.5 Leopard for now, maybe when 10.6.5 arrives that I'll "upgrade" again.

Thanks for your help.

14 years ago

I would take it in. Seriously. If the light isn't coming on then something is wrong.

Tommy
    14 years ago

Hi Gary,

After Leopard was installed I popped in the Snow Leopard disc, rebooted, and the LED came on immediately. I'm going to take it in tomorrow, like you suggested.

I googled around a bit, and it seems that others who own a 13" 2009 MacBook Pro have experienced the same problem when trying to boot off the Snow Leopard Dvd. Hmm...

Tommy
    14 years ago

Today I ran a check-hardware test. Result: No problems found.
    I'm taking it in tomorrow (don't have time today, lots to do).

Btw, this seems to be a problem among some MacBook Pro 13"s when trying to boot from the Snow L. Dvd.

Again, thank you for your help.

Comments Closed.