Basic dictation in OS X uses a similar system to Siri, with audio sent to a server for processing. With Mavericks you can enable Enhanced Dictation that allows you to use the feature while offline. Go to System Preferences, Dictation & Speech, Dictation and check Use Enhanced Dictation. This requires a hefty download to install the needed speech recognition software. Once that is done, you can also use dictation continuously, instead of 30-second chunks. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5449 for details.
Learn More From MacMost
Connect with MacMost
- Printable Keyboard Shortcuts
- Guide to Online Password Security
- Uninstalling Mac Apps
- How to Get Free iPhone Ringtones
- Extending iPhone Battery Life
- Make Your Own iPhone Ringtones
- Syncing Your iPod to More Than One Computer
- iMovie Picture-In-Picture
- QuickTime Player Screen Recording
- Shut Down or Sleep
- Do Macs Need Anti-Virus?
Copyright © 2006-2017 CleverMedia, Inc. All Rights Reserved.