MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

Can 3 Monitors Be Connected To a Mac Pro (late 2013] ?

Can 3 monitors be connected to a Mac Pro (late 2013] ? I can get two monitors working with no problems, but when I try to add a third monitor it doesn’t get a signal – turn on. I’ve tried everything; it’s not the cable, and it’s not the busing or plugging array because I’ve tried every possible combination. The third monitor will work if I pull out one of the other two. (All Digital input.)

I’ve come to the conclusion that the mac is just not capable of driving three monitors.

Is there something I could do that would make it possible to drive the three monitors? Can I update the GPU in a Mac pro, or something like that?
—–
Joseph Renzetti

Comments: 5 Responses to “Can 3 Monitors Be Connected To a Mac Pro (late 2013] ?”

6 months ago

I have a later 2013 Mac Pro (black cylinder) and I’ve been running 3 screens since day 1. How big are your screens? I’ve got a 4K one and 2 1080 ones. What GPU do you have — what are the complete specs on the machine?

Joseph Renzetti
    6 months ago

Model Mac Pro
    Model ID MacPro6,1
    Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number Processors:1
    Total Number of Cores:6
    L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
    L3 Cache:12 MB
    Memory:32 GB
    2 monitors both:G276HL: 27 in.
    Resolution:1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010-
    AMD FirePro D500:3072 MB graphics
    Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D500
    Type:GPU Bus:PCIe Slot:Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total):3072 MB

6 months ago

You’ve got the same GPU as I so. If your 3 screens are only 1600×900 then you aren’t using as much as me (3840×2160, 1920×1080, 1920×1080) so I’m not sure why you can’t get all of the screens to work. Just keep trying things. Maybe one of the cables is bad? Are you connecting with 3 mini DisplayPort cables?

Joseph Renzetti
    6 months ago

I think you’ve located the problem. I have been using a thunderbolt to digi-monitor adapter – into a digital cable to the monitors. This has to be the problem. I’m gonna use a mini displayport cables to HDMI. I bet that’ll work
    Thanks JR

Joe Renzetti
    5 months ago

I bought a new 24″ and used (thanks to your making me aware of it ) DisplayPort connectors/cable – all 3 lit up – working thanks – JR

Comments Closed.