MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

Can 3 Monitors Be Connected To a Mac Pro (late 2013] ?

Can 3 monitors be connected to a Mac Pro (late 2013] ? I can get two monitors working with no problems, but when I try to add a third monitor it doesn’t get a signal – turn on. I’ve tried everything; it’s not the cable, and it’s not the busing or plugging array because I’ve tried every possible combination. The third monitor will work if I pull out one of the other two. (All Digital input.)

I’ve come to the conclusion that the mac is just not capable of driving three monitors.

Is there something I could do that would make it possible to drive the three monitors? Can I update the GPU in a Mac pro, or something like that?
—–
Joseph Renzetti

Comments: 5 Responses to “Can 3 Monitors Be Connected To a Mac Pro (late 2013] ?”

5 years ago

I have a later 2013 Mac Pro (black cylinder) and I've been running 3 screens since day 1. How big are your screens? I've got a 4K one and 2 1080 ones. What GPU do you have -- what are the complete specs on the machine?

Joseph Renzetti
    5 years ago

Model Mac Pro
    Model ID MacPro6,1
    Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number Processors:1
    Total Number of Cores:6
    L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
    L3 Cache:12 MB
    Memory:32 GB
    2 monitors both:G276HL: 27 in.
    Resolution:1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010-
    AMD FirePro D500:3072 MB graphics
    Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D500
    Type:GPU Bus:PCIe Slot:Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total):3072 MB

5 years ago

You've got the same GPU as I so. If your 3 screens are only 1600x900 then you aren't using as much as me (3840x2160, 1920x1080, 1920x1080) so I'm not sure why you can't get all of the screens to work. Just keep trying things. Maybe one of the cables is bad? Are you connecting with 3 mini DisplayPort cables?

Joseph Renzetti
    5 years ago

I think you’ve located the problem. I have been using a thunderbolt to digi-monitor adapter – into a digital cable to the monitors. This has to be the problem. I’m gonna use a mini displayport cables to HDMI. I bet that’ll work
    Thanks JR

Joe Renzetti
    5 years ago

I bought a new 24" and used (thanks to your making me aware of it ) DisplayPort connectors/cable - all 3 lit up - working thanks - JR

Comments Closed.