MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

How Can I Add a Thunderbolt Camera To My MacBook Pro 2017?

I am using a Sony handycam connected via HDMI to BlackMagicDesign Intensity Shuffle, then thunderbolt connected to my Macbook pro. The camera is seen fine by my macbook and OBS software, but I can’t manage to get my OS to see the camera like FaceTime HD camera.. I can see there’s a blackmagic camera option when I open Skype audio/video settings but if I choose that instead the original FaceTime camera, the screen goes black.. Is there a way I can add the BlackMagic Camera on the cameras list and get it to work properly by any chance? Just like it was a usb web cam I mean.. I hope it makes sense what I am trying to achieve..
Many thanks! Guido
—–
Guido

Comments: One Response to “How Can I Add a Thunderbolt Camera To My MacBook Pro 2017?”

4 years ago

I know exactly what you mean, Unfortunately, there is probably no way to do it. The BlackMagic hardware and drivers would need to support that, and they don't.

As an alternative, there is the Elgato Cam Link 4K which is what I use to connect my Sony A6100 to my Mac Pro. It is actually USB 3, not Thunderbolt. 1080 is the best I can get from it, even though it does do 4K, just not at a high frame rate.

Comments Closed.