MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

Macbook Pro 2011 memory question

I have a 2011 13″ MBP i7 with the base memory and I was wanting to upgrade to the full 8gb. I definitely do not want to pay the $400 Apple asking price and have been trying to find cheaper memory chips elsewhere (Amazon, Chip Merchant, Crucial, etc). I can’t seem to find any info that recommends one over another. I have been reading more than a few negative reviews about Crucial’s sticks (freezing issues, their memory simply not working) but I have also read that Crucial is a good Apple substitute so I don’t know what to believe. I’ve gotten the same conflicting information about Samsung built memory. Any suggestions would be welcome as, again, I don’t want to take a second mortgage out to upgrade via Apple. Thanks!
—–
jon

Comments: 4 Responses to “Macbook Pro 2011 memory question”

13 years ago

Memory isn't perfect, so you just have to choose a distributor and try it. If the memory doesn't work, then call their customer support and return it for a replacement. In my experience about 98% of memory is fine -- and when you do get the 2% that has a quality control issue you just return it and there's no issue.
    For that reason you may want to go with the Chip Merchant or Crucial (I've used both in the past) because they understand this and will handle replacements quickly and efficiently.

jon
    13 years ago

Thanks Gary, love the site!

Mr Anthony Cotton
    13 years ago

I do not know what a 13" MBP i7 is. I had my iMac sent away to get the screen replaced,and i asked over the phone could you upgrade the memory and the tech guy said yes seeing has we have already got your computer. It was upgraded from 4 GB to 8GB and it cost me £130 thats $205. I think that a bit steep paying Apple $400 thats £253 . This is where the PC comes in, and to me dominates the upgrades.

13 years ago

I don't see how that is a PC advantage over Macs. Memory costs the same. So Apple's "white glove" service is expensive -- compare that to going back to the manufacturer and getting new RAM on the PC side. Can you even do that? Can you even go to Dell or HP and have them install new RAM? I don't know how or where you would go to do that. So the best way to get new RAM for both Mac and PC is to go to an independent shop. Same.

Comments Closed.