MacMost Q&A Forum • View All Forum QuestionsAsk a Question

Which MacBook Should I Buy- 256 or 512GB?

I’m trying to decide between two new MacBooks to replace my lagging 2010 MB Air.

I’m looking at the refurbished ones, and can’t decide between the 12-inch MacBook 1.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core m3 (256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage) or the 12-inch MacBook 1.2GHz Dual-core Intel Core m5 (512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage).

I use my laptop for going online to run my online business, using Evernote, YNAB, lots of photos, music, reminders, blogging, etc. No gaming, video editing, etc.

The reason I’m thinking 512GB instead of 256GB is that my current MBA is 128 GB, and I’m always getting close to having no room left. I’ve taken it in to the Genius Bar a couple times, and not much can be done.

I don’t want to run into the same issue if I get a 256GB MB, but I’m not sure if 512GB would be too much space?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Corinna
—–
Corinna Nairn

Comments: 3 Responses to “Which MacBook Should I Buy- 256 or 512GB?”

7 years ago

Well, it is just a matter of money vs storage space, right? Is the extra money worth the storage space to you? I can tell you that extra storage will be useful, and you already know that. But I don't know your money situation or how much a dollar is worth to you, so I can't really recommend either.

But on the other hand, you say that you have lots of photos and music, and those use storage. You say that 128GB isn't enough and you already know the pain of being low on space -- the stress that causes, and the way it makes you get less from your MacBook in general because you hold back on doing things, taking more photos, collecting more music, maybe trying to work with video.

In my experience, I rarely hear someone complain that they bought a Mac will too much storage. However, I often hear that they bought a Mac with too little storage.

Joel
    7 years ago

Another option to getting more storage is to make use of Apple's (paid) services for storing photos and music in the cloud.

Corinna
    7 years ago

Thank you, Gary and Joel. Great advice. Appreciate the time you took to answer my question, and always refer your site on to friends, Gary.

Comments Closed.