sudo nvram BootAudio=%01
dosen’t seem to work
I get this answer
sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
AHB-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Andrew$
Any one have a fix?
I love that chime its been there since the year dot?
Why has apple discontinued and seemed to have stopped its being restored?
—–
Andrew B.

Comments: 2 Responses to “How To Restore Historic Apple Startup Chime In New 2017 MacBook Pro 15″”

7 years ago

Hard to say why this isn't working for you. Could be any number of things like not having the root user set up, or system integrity protection getting in the way. But that's all pretty serious stuff, and I wouldn't go messing with it just for this.

I think the reason the sound is gone is that power on and off are different today. There is little difference between what used to be called sleep and what used to be called shut down, especially for MacBooks. I always advise people to rarely, if ever, "shut down" a Mac. Just close the lid on a MacBook or let your iMac's display go to sleep. All shutting down does is give you an extra step when walking away from your Mac and another extra step and some time when you sit down again.

Andrew B
    7 years ago

Thanks Gary, makes sense & maybe related to another ?/oddity as I use both my 2011 and my 2017 on a thunderbolt 2 Cinema Display.
    Yup I sleep both to my scheduled (midnight to 7:30 am) sleep
    The 2011 wakes by space bar but the 2017 doesn't. I have to crack the lid open with the 2017 to wake it.
    I use a vertical apple cradle to sit both in (helps with cooling especially the 2011) which has had 4 warranty motherboards replaced (known problem) under apples' extended warranty program

Comments Closed.