I just upgraded my old USB mobile data card to a mobile hotspot. These fairly new devices allow you to connect with your MacBook (or iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad!) through a mobile network with a monthly data plan. The advantage of these new devices over the old USB stick is that you can connect more than one device, and you don’t need any special software on those devices since the AirCard works like a regular wireless base station. So I can travel and connect with my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad with just one device and nothing to install. I can even use it for mobile connectivity instead of waiting for a 3G iPad. It will also come in handy when I’m in places were I can’t usually use my iPhone because AT&T doesn’t work. And this method of connectivity offers much more security than using a public WiFi hotspot. Check with your wireless carrier to see if they offer this model or a similar one.
Welcome to MacMost
Free MacMost Weekly Newsletter
Want all of the new tutorials in your inbox? Sign up for the free weekly newsletter that includes tips, recommendations and news.
Learn More From MacMost
Connect with MacMost
- Using the iCloud Photo Library
- Viewing and Organizing Photos In the New Photos App
- Using Multiple Tables And Lookup In Numbers
- Creating Transparent Images With Pixelmator
- iMovie Basics
- Finder Hints and Shortcuts
- Removing Adware From Your Mac
- Using Text Columns In Pages
- Creating Transparent Images With Keynote
- Understanding MacBook Battery Cycle Count
Copyright © 2006-2017 CleverMedia, Inc. All Rights Reserved.