MacMost Now 490: Tagging Files With Spotlight Comments

You can add tags to any file in Mac OS X using the Spotlight Comments field. You can then search for files based on those tags. This can help you organize your files when a simple folder system isn't enough.

Comments: 12 Responses to “MacMost Now 490: Tagging Files With Spotlight Comments”

Matt
    9 years ago

Very handy!

Stephen
    8 years ago

Great tip, nice summary!

JOSE
    8 years ago

Is there a way to see all the tags that I have used throughout the year?, there are some that I do not longer remember.

RobinJ
    8 years ago

Hi, I’m having trouble getting multiple Spotlight Comments to be seen by some Smart Folders. I notice that you use a comma with no space. I’ve tried this (with and without a space). I built a little Automator app to add Spotlight Comments, which creates a carriage return for separate Spotlight Comments (i.e., each is on a separate line). There is no comma here.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I’m getting wrong?

Thank you!

8 years ago

Not offhand. Just keep experimenting. Maybe it is taking a while for Spotlight to index these changes. Or, maybe adding the comments via Automator isn’t triggering Spotlight to re-index those files. What happens when you add them the same way manually?

RobinJ
        8 years ago

Thanks Gary – I’ve tried three manual ways: comma separated”,”; comma and space separated”, “; and carriage return. Both comma methods fail (i.e, files don’t appear in all the folders they should) and when I try manually separate with a carriage return…well, it doesn’t allow you to (the whole line gets highlighted but nothing happens; i.e., with Automated Smart Comments, I get carriage returned separation — but that’s the only time you see it!).

I’ll let you know if my experimenting works!

Joe B
    8 years ago

Hi. Great video! I’m new to your sight and look forward to viewing more.
    Question: Do you know if spotlight comments sometimes disappear for no apparent reason? Not sure, but I may have had some disappear on me. Trying to test this by creating comments and checking at later date. Appreciate your help very much!

8 years ago

I can’t think of any reason why they would disappear, no.

Eddie W
    8 years ago

@Joe B: I’ve had comments disappear on me. I’ve watched it happen on the main screen where the system shows my disks in Finder. I previously used the comments field to show the total size of each drive. The comments invariably disappeared after a random number of days/weeks, so I’ve come to distrust the comment fields altogether.

Dante
    7 years ago

is the comma necessary between tags?

7 years ago

Well, you need something in between them so they don’t all run into each other. Try spaces and see if that works just as well.

Comments Closed.