MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

1/11/11
When I create a new note on my iPhone, MobileMe syncs it to my ‘Notes’ folder within Mail on my MacBook Pro, however it also shows in my Inbox. When I try deleting it from my Inbox it deletes it from the Notes folder. I like to keep my inbox empty by filing my emails ... (2 Comments)
1/11/11
I have a presentation with photos. I have long deleted the original snaps and only the Keynote remains. Is it possible to extract the photos from the slides in anyway? Dragging to desktop, copy paste isn’t working. Need the files for some further work in ... (2 Comments)
1/10/11
Whenever i recieve a long text message the keyboard opens up when i click “view” to open the message. How can I set the phone so that only the message opens? Everyone i know opens with just the message except me. We have been though all the setting but cannot see ... (1 Comment)
1/10/11
The icons will all giggle, but I don’t get any X’s(4.2.1) —– drt ... (11 Comments)
1/10/11
I have an app called Logos that seems like it is stuck at a given version (1.5.2 in this case). I can update it from my iPad or from iTunes, but it never leaves the “needs to be updated” queue in iTunes. How can I reset this app without deleting ... (1 Comment)
1/10/11
I have a ton of different devices on my home network, including several computers, ipad, iphones, TiVo, Apple TV, etc. I would like to have a way of monitoring what is taking up bandwidth at a given time. What is the best way of going about doing that? —– Todd A. ... (3 Comments)
1/10/11
I purchase iPhone apps on both my PC and MacBook and have my iPhone authorized on my PC. I would like to be able to install both the apps and music from my PC and only the apps from my MacBook. How do I go about doing that? I’ve tried sharing and my PC shows up under the ... (7 Comments)
1/9/11
When I download a calendar event from the web, (e.g. “Add to my Calendar”), it enters as UTC time. I have time zone support on in iCal and I have selected my local time in MobileMe, so in month view it shows my time zone as it’s supposed to, but when I double ... (3 Comments)
1/9/11
Would like some help setting up network play. —– Kirk ... (1 Comment)
1/9/11
I synced my Address Book with my mobile (Nokia E75). What’s happened as a result is that my phonebook has duplicate entires for some names. So, John Smith, say, has a separate for his mobile number (which i’d stored independently previously) and one for his email ... (6 Comments)
1/9/11
We are trying to move files from an older macbook to our new imac, music and pictures. Via the Migration Assistant we cant find the files on the imac after the transfer, and via our Time Capsule it tells us that the account are allready in use and therefor cant give us ... (7 Comments)
1/8/11
I have a fairly new battery which has been fine till the other day, the charge is at 100% and it runs normally till the level reaches 76%, then all of a sudden the level drops to 5% and I receive a low battery notice. I tried an old battery and it did the same thing. Is this a ... (4 Comments)
1/8/11
i installed windows seven with vmware fusion3…but i could not use the aero effect in win 7 ultimate…. can any one tell me the solution pls tell if any drivers are required i use a macbook 4.1,4gb ram,250gb hd,osx10.6.6 —– hari ...
1/7/11
I have recently started using Time Machine Editor – backing up to a 1 tb external drive. the first backup went through perfectly at the time I set but any further attempts to back up are telling me that the destination drive is full. I have the standard Time Machine turned off ... (3 Comments)
1/7/11
What is the idea of having the burn folder in the public section of sharing? And would you advise keeping to keep a percentage of your work on a cloud facility,such as idisk or dropbox, which I have a free account with. thanks in advance —– jim Harrison ... (6 Comments)
1/7/11
We is Apple selling software in the App store much cheaper than the boxed versions? For example Apecture 3 is almost $100 cheaper on the app store than the boxed version being sold online. I like the cheaper price, but what is apple thinking selling the same software at 2 ... (2 Comments)
1/7/11
I’m wondering if if there is a way to use AirDisk to sync large folders, (like those containing music, video or photos) between computers, using AirDisk in a manner similar to how DropBox works, but internal to the home network and without the monthly fees. I don’t ... (4 Comments)
1/7/11
Does anyone know if it’s possible to ‘gift’ an App from within the Mac App Store in the way I could with the iTunes Store? —– James McEwan ... (4 Comments)
1/6/11
When I have my MacBook (fall 2007) on its loudest setting for sound, it is sometimes not loud enough. My hearing is excellent, but sometimes the sound on what I’m playing is really low. Is there any way to increase the sound beyond what it does now? —– Shirl ... (1 Comment)
1/6/11
I have the older Apple TV where you can actually purchase and store movies. My iMAC also syncs with the AppleTV and saves copies of the Movies. I do not want to keep some of the movies on my iMAC as takes up a lot of memory. How can I change such settings? —– Patrick ... (7 Comments)