MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

1/6/11
Everyone has a story about losing data. Whether it’s work data or personal data, we’ve all been there. I’m making it my personal mission to never let that happen to me again. So I’m curious. What’s your preferred method to backing up? both on and off ... (4 Comments)
1/6/11
My Energy Saver says ‘Service Battery. Battery is charged’ I ran down my battery yesterday to 0 and then recharged but message still shows. Battery cycle count is 323, macbook is 14 months old. Do I need to worry? Also, I want a completely clean desktop(No icons), so ... (1 Comment)
1/6/11
I find that after setting up about 5 folder actions for sorting out files according to title wording, it only works for the first file I drag and drop. The next files all stay where I drag them even if they contain the keyword. I have tried the Mac support forums but they are too ... (2 Comments)
1/5/11
I have a finished project in iMovie 09 and it plays perfectly in the program, but when I export it I can hear two pieces of audio overlapping. One part is the audio that’s supposed to be playing and the other is audio from a section that’s supposed to come later. ... (11 Comments)
1/5/11
I have been trying for days to figure this out. I am trying to do a memorial video comprised of stills and audio clips. I have figured out how to get the beat cuts to work, but what I cannot seem to get to work is being able to drop a second audio clip in behind the first one, ... (2 Comments)
1/5/11
i just switched from pc to mac. now i want to sync music from my mac to my iphone. but it seems like itunes wants to delete everything on my iphone, before it allows me to drag new music to my iphone. how can i solve this problem? —– Natasha ... (1 Comment)
1/5/11
Any emails I send to myself of through Ical as reminders are entering the Mail inbox but not in bold, with unread marker; so no indicator next to Dock icon that a new mail has come. Any help would be appreciated. —– Paddy ... (8 Comments)
1/5/11
I connected a ‘Mini displayport to DVI adapter’ with an ‘HDMI to DVI digital Video Cable’ from my iMac to an LED TV. THe picture is there but no sound. The only output device recognised in the systems preference is the built-in internal ... (4 Comments)
1/5/11
This website (http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/how-to-decipher-understand-apple-mac-serial-number-format.html) says: For the curious interested in deciphering their entire Apple serial number — the first two characters reveal the manufacturing location, the next ... (3 Comments)
1/4/11
Wondering if there was an easy way to encrypt my mail using Gmail and PGP on my Mac. —– Glenn Downing ... (2 Comments)
1/4/11
Hi, Gary, I just registered a domain name because I would like to have my Website; However, I would like to know, please, if I can use my MobileMe to host my website and, in positive case, can I use my own domain name? How??? Thanks —– sergio ... (3 Comments)
1/4/11
I have not been able to figure out how to group photos onto one page to save photo paper. I’m using iPHoto 8.1.2 —– Nina Bunin ... (5 Comments)
1/4/11
I didn’t change any settings, but seems like Mail and MobileMe somehow got crossed up. There’s a triangle symbol with an “!” inside it next to my trash icon, the one underneath “Mailboxes” and directly underneath the “Sent” icon. ... (3 Comments)
1/4/11
Is there a way to turn off the melody played when you turn on the laptop? —– Ben ... (1 Comment)
1/4/11
Hey Gary I am not sure if you can or allowed to answer but is there a Mac application that can be used to rip my BlueRay collection for playback on my Apple TV? I use handbrake for my DVD collections —– Michael ... (4 Comments)
1/4/11
Right now I only have MobileMe email set up on Mail by using IMAP (default setting, didn’t really tweak any settings). I thought with IMAP all my mail is on the server, but I looked in ~/Library/Mail and looked around and it looks like all my mail is also downloaded to my ... (3 Comments)
1/3/11
I watched the video for MacKeeper, but I think it is a gimmick to get you to buy a product that I don’t really need to “clean up”, delete old versions of files, wipe caches, etc on my Mac. Gary, do you use anything for these purposes? And if so, which ones that ... (3 Comments)
1/3/11
Just got your ‘Guide to Switching to the Mac’:-) So far I’m missing (or can’t find) an important basic information concerning Safari and the situation, when you have more than one browser open. In page 159 you describe how to switch between tabs in a ... (4 Comments)
1/3/11
I have over 1500 songs on my iPhone4, yet when I hit shuffle play it seems I always hear the same 200 or so songs. Why is that? Is there a way for it to play ALL the songs in shuffle play? I don’t use playlists or genius shuffle at all. —– Mark Hobbs ... (1 Comment)
1/3/11
I am going to be starting a “nuke and pave” rebuild of my system with a new hard drive fairly soon. I have been told by different people that making a bootable disc image of the OS X install DVD will make the install process go much faster. How would I go about ... (1 Comment)