Officially, you can use Time Machine to back up to a connected hard drive, or to a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme hard drive. But an unsupported mode allows you to back up to a drive connected to another computer on your network. You’ll need to run the Terminal program and execute the line “defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1”. Then mount the network drive you wish to use. Then you should see it turn up in the drives you can select in the Time Machine preferences.
Welcome to MacMost
Free Weekly Newsletter
Want all of the new tutorials in your inbox? Sign up for the free weekly newsletter that includes tips, recommendations and news.
Online Courses at Udemy
Connect with MacMost
Free Downloadable Resources
- A Beginner’s Guide To Whether To Shut Down or Sleep Your Mac
- Fade Out Background Music in iMovie
- Simple Animation In iMovie
- A Beginner’s Guide to the Red, Yellow and Green Window Buttons
- A Beginner’s Guide to TextEdit
- How To Delete Safari Bookmarks
- Free iPhone Ringtones Revisited
- Moving Graphic Pointers In iMovie
Copyright © 2006-2019 CleverMedia, Inc. All Rights Reserved.