MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/22/13
On a Mac, if I want to highlight a word or phrase in a pages document or an email, how do I edit that text so that it will be easily viewed for the recipient or for later use? And are their options to use different colours? —– Janice McLeod ... (2 Comments)
2/21/13
With the continuous vulnerabilities in Java. I am wondering if I should just remove it from my Mac. Or am I just as safe from infections/vulnerabilities by simply disabling it in the browser? —– Bryan ... (10 Comments)
2/21/13
Gary, When typing on the iPad there will be words that are underlined in red. when I tap on the word a box will appear with suggested spellings, usually one to three variances, but there isn’t an option to have the iPad “learn” a word. Is there a way to teach ... (3 Comments)
2/21/13
I need to get reverse images printed out. I found that I can reverse them in Preview, but when I try save in iPhoto or print directly, the jpgs revert to the original direction. Is it possible to save and print photos in reverse without getting a new application. If an app is ... (3 Comments)
2/21/13
I like using iCloud because I can work on a document on my Mac desktop and pick up right where I left off on my Mac laptop. No need to use Dropbox. But iCloud has limited storage (so does Dropbox) and I can’t use file folders to organize (but I can in Dropbox). Maybe iCloud ... (3 Comments)
2/21/13
I have a lot of DVDs and small kids and want to set up a media server using AppleTV. Previously, I used Handbrake for Mac (which also already has an AppleTV preset) and converted them to MPEGs and copied them to my PlayStation 3 hard drive, but when my PS3 went up in smoke and I ... (3 Comments)
2/21/13
I have a pricing spreadsheet that includes lots of different sizes of air conditioner systems. What I do is to enter a quantity, and that generates a price. At the bottom is a total of just the items I priced out. I want to find a way to copy only the lines with a quantity value ... (1 Comment)
2/18/13
I have been working for 12 hours trying to rank a column of numbers and listing that SPECIFIC ranking in a different column. Say I have column “E” with different rows listed as 2,6,8,10. In column “F” I want to assign/show the numerical ranking number of ... (1 Comment)
2/16/13
Does iWork have the same capabilities as Office 2011 for Mac when I need to create documents? I ask because I am thinking of ditching Office for Mac and purchasing the 3 iWork applications, but have been discouraged by Mac users across the board. They say it doesn’t have ... (8 Comments)
2/16/13
When I make multiple screenshots for a project such as a Keynote presentation they collect all over the desktop. I would like to save them to a file for four reasons. 1) they would be in date/time order. 2) when in ‘preview’ the picture size would be larger than it is ... (7 Comments)
2/13/13
Hello I am having trouble working out how to save a .pdf file to open as a double page spread in pages. I want the file to open this way by default instead of people having t o change their settings once open. Any help would be much appreciated! —– Dan ... (2 Comments)
2/12/13
when I type a fraction in mail or text edit such as 1/2″, it automatically converts it into a properly formatted fraction number. It’s a great feature, but in Pages it doesn’t do it. I don’t even know how it does it in mail or text edit. I never changed ... (2 Comments)
2/11/13
I prefer the old way of viewing albums, artists and genres in LIST format in iTunes. But, the latest iTunes seems to only show “Songs” in list format. Is there a way to do this? —– Arthur Carter ... (3 Comments)
2/11/13
I am trying to use numbers with checkboxes showing a percentage of how may checkboxes are marked.I have watched your tutorial on if statements and checkboxes but Im missing something. (besides not being confident with formulas). I am using the formula =IF(R5,1/26*100%,R5)in cell ... (2 Comments)
2/11/13
I got locked out of disk I encrypted via OS X cause I forgot the password. I don’t care about the contents, I simply want to use the disk again and I know there is a command line via terminal to do this but don’t know what it is. —– Bryan ... (8 Comments)
2/8/13
Just got myself a new Time Capsule which I am planning to set up as a WiFi router for my broadband connection. Given that it comes with a 2TB hard drive that works with Time Machine for backups I was trying to figure out a way of using that 2TB drive as a NAS. Is that possible ... (8 Comments)
2/6/13
I am using numbers 09. I have two columns with dates in them. They are named date issued and expected completion date. The first column on the left is date issued where I insert a date the next column I use the formula =EDATE(F5,3)this gives me a date in 3 months time,this work ... (3 Comments)
2/5/13
My iPad is holding the Christmas videos I took and I want to edit them on my iPad. Holding them there is preventing me from doing a Cloud backup because it exceeds the total of my storage. Why are videos backing up to the cloud and how can I prevent this from happening? Is my ... (8 Comments)
2/5/13
how do I connect with a video camera recently installed in my elderly mom’s home? The website is: [*] and the installer at my mom’s gave me a tutorial today over the phone, but said I had to activate X controls to get the video connected with my Mac. I am currently in ... (3 Comments)
2/5/13
Can you please tell me how to disable or turn off the autocomplete/autofill function in numbers? I am creating a spreadsheet with a column for First Name, Middle Initial, and this feature is driving me crazy. Thanks, in advance for your assistance. —– Joseph ... (9 Comments)