MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

4/13/13
I would like to modify images in keynote. I just bought an iMac and really like it, but don’t know the best way to modify images. I like when I see a motivational image with a faded band and text inside it. Hope that makes sense. Can I do that in keynote, or is there ... (4 Comments)
4/9/13
I have a table with several columns of data and need to copy some columns into rows in another table. —– James Anthony ... (5 Comments)
4/8/13
Sometimes when I’m in Finder using List View, I see all my folders and subfolders – literally hundreds of nested folders. It’s almost impossible to navigate. I can collapse them individually, but that’s a pain. Is there a keyboard shortcut to collapse all ... (2 Comments)
3/30/13
I have a MacBook Pro needing service. The power icon shows “service battery”. I will take the MBP to an authorized service center, though I live overseas and this is not an “Apple Store”. I have some concern that the technicians conducting the inspection ... (16 Comments)
3/27/13
In System 10.6.8 folder icons displayed the number of items in the folder under the folder name. Is there a way to bring this feature back in Mountain Lion? I’m familiar with the File>Get Info command. But, I’d really like the folder icon to display the number of ... (4 Comments)
3/23/13
I just bought a new MacBook Pro, a 13″ without Retina display, that came without the install discs. Should I make some. If yes, how? —– Joe ... (5 Comments)
3/22/13
How safe is this two step verification for an Apple ID and can we continue with the old system? Will we all be forced into switching in the near future. Thanks Rob —– Rob ... (6 Comments)
3/21/13
How do I automatically update the current date on a Pages document. I use a standard document created from a blank Pages doc. The date has it’s own field. I would like it to update to the current day’s date whenever I open the document. How do I do ... (2 Comments)
3/19/13
This is certainly not life or death, but annoying to see a computer I no longer use and its name under my iPad’s “iTunes Wi-Fi Sync” For that matter this Mac that I no longer, according to “iTunes Wi-Fi Sync”, was syncing Tones?? I never play with ... (2 Comments)
3/17/13
Please forgive what is probably a mundane question, but after 30 years of using “other” Machines, I have seen the light and bought my first Mac. I have read that I should “sleep” the Mac rather than “shut down”, but should I turn off mouse and ... (7 Comments)
3/14/13
I am new to Macs, but not to iPhones. I was always able to transfer video that I shot on my iPhone to the My Pictures files on a PC, but now, although all my jpeg photos transfer easily, I cannot figure out how to get the video files on my Mac so I can watch them or make them ... (6 Comments)
3/13/13
Tonight I got a notification that Google Reader would cease on July 1, 2013. There are a lot of Readers in the MAS, but I hate to buy and try. I was wondering if anybody would care to recommend readers that work/function similarly to the Google Reader – which really ... (5 Comments)
3/13/13
I would like to get a text expansion package. There is a lot of disagreement about the quality of the different solutions available. Does anyone have a recommendation? I’m on 10.8.2 and use a MacBook Pro with 8GB memory. Many thanks! —– Sue Ryan ... (4 Comments)
3/11/13
How can I join two separate tabs in two separate Safari windows into one Safari window? Thanks. —– Aydin Seren ... (2 Comments)
3/9/13
I currently share my dads Apple ID on my iPod touch and I want my own Apple account. Will i lose my music, photos, apps and settings? (my photos and music are backed up to my computer) —– Lemming ... (1 Comment)
3/4/13
I am trying to import contacts on a Numbers spreadsheet into my Addressbook on my MacBook. Using Number 09 —– Davis Kosowan ... (4 Comments)
2/26/13
How can I allow Keynote and Numbers access to my contacts? For Mountain Lion in System Preferences under Security & Privacy and then in the Privacy Tab there is a section “Contacts” which says “Allow the apps below to access you contacts”. It has Pages in there but ... (5 Comments)
2/26/13
I want to create letters to different groups in my Numbers database. Specifically, I am dealing with applications to a school, where data is entered according to when received, so grade levels are not in order. But I want to print letters only to a certain grade level, or only to ... (1 Comment)
2/24/13
My Mom, Jean, is almost totally blind but can sometimes make out a font in size 36. Can I make a rule in mail that whenever I send an email to her it will send at size 36? I am working on a MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion. Many thanks for all your articles and videos. Sincerely, ... (3 Comments)
2/22/13
I have an iPad2 and want to keep my clients when I move. I tutor mathematics so I need them to see my screen when I write and I need them to hear my voice. I want to be able to toggle between screen and camera during the session. Does anyone know how to do ... (1 Comment)