MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/4/11
Hi Gary, today I had the NOT so bright idea to go into finder and change permissions (get info) in Desktop,Home,Documents & Applications.. I changed “everyone” to “none” and “wheeler” or staff to “read or write only. I then restarted ... (3 Comments)
2/4/11
Hello Gary. I am wanting to upload a DVD of my wedding to the cloud so that friends and family can download and burn it on their own DVD. I know I can use “cloud” services like dropbox, but my question has to di with what to upload? Most DVD’s have menus and ... (9 Comments)
2/4/11
I’ve just subscribed to the fixtures calendar for the 6 nations Rugby Tournament in Ical, but the webpage has given it in for the UK time zone. I want all the entires under the subscription to switch to my Timezone so that I don’t have to keep calculating the kick-off ... (4 Comments)
2/4/11
If I can make a request, I would love to see how to set automator to update mobile me nightly to back up certain folders. Interested to see if it can find changes and only transfer that, or will it have to backup the entire folder contents nightly. —– Craig ... (8 Comments)
2/4/11
I just moved into a new Apt. building and for the first time since owning my my Mac I can see 3 people in the “Shared” column in finder. Can you please tell me how to block these connection ? If I can see them, they can see me, and I don`t want ... (3 Comments)
2/3/11
We could really do with some valuable inputs from you regarding the whole Android vs Iphone debate. Do put up a video podcast if you can, but in the meanwhile, are Android phones easy to sync wirelessly with a macbook? My main concern is transferring contacts to and from ... (1 Comment)
2/3/11
Gary, just curious how you transcribe your videos so you have the full text under each video. Is it software, a service you pay for or do you just type them out? Thanks. —– Doug Gilmore ... (1 Comment)
2/3/11
The subject line is probably truly not what I need to know. I want to enter all of my personal expenses for the year, using my receipts. I put them into Description in B2, categories in B3, Total in B4. I want to have Jan, Feb, Mar . . . in other words each month shown ... (4 Comments)
2/3/11
Hi, I use Outlook 2011 for Mac and I need help to know if it is possible to synchronize Outlook calendar and Tasks with/to iCal. If yes, how can it be done? The flow would be Outlook to iCal to iPhone. Or, is it possible to synchronize Outlook for Mac to ... (1 Comment)
2/3/11
I have a whole bunch of little Quicktime Clips (>1000) in all different kind of formats and sizes. I need them all in the same size and format. So I thought, I’d create an Automator Workflow or a folder action to open them up in QT7 Pro and export them in the right ... (4 Comments)
2/2/11
I am trying to find out what softwares are required to allow a conversion of a children book to an interactive book with sounds and video animation for iphone and ipad applications? Thanks so much! Laurent —– Laurent Colasse ... (2 Comments)
2/2/11
Is it possible when you upload from a camcorder to save the video to an external hard drive rather than to the internal? It only gives me the option from the drop down menu to save to the internal. Thanks —– Princella ... (3 Comments)
2/2/11
So I was importing some pictures into Aperture from my iPhone 4, and then went into Image Capture to view some other pics off of another camera. In the process I accidentally deleted some photos off of my iPhone 4 before they had been imported by Aperture. Is there any way to ... (3 Comments)
2/2/11
I converted an Action Trailer from Imovie 11 into the Project to see what effects were used ! The Red Background and flashing text looks so good ! but I cannot find out what effect is used and how should i do it manually for other projects ! Any tips Gary? —– Cyrus ... (2 Comments)
2/2/11
The hard disk I use for time machine is full, how do I delete the older versions? I want to delete all of them, actually, and have only the last 1 or 2 version. My hard disk used for time machine is 750 G. —– Marius_N ... (12 Comments)
2/1/11
Can you please explain the downloads folder? If I delete for example a spreadsheet that I downloaded from an e-mail, is it gone, or does it also reside in another folder? Do I need to continually manage this folder by saving the files in it to other areas prior to clearing the ... (1 Comment)
1/31/11
I’m using tiger 10.4.1 on my macbook. I sync my iphone 3gs on that mac. I would like to merger my itunes library on my macbook with my mac mini running leopard. Is this possible so i can keep my app, podcast, etc by get the new itunes updates, ... (1 Comment)
1/31/11
I have a Nikon cool pic 110. It has a cable. Can I connect it to my iPad and do I need any aps.? Thanks —– Sid bearak ... (1 Comment)
1/31/11
I need to get some songs and books off of an old ipod and in to my new itunes library. Is there any way to do that? Is there a reliable, free program to allow this? —– Scott ... (1 Comment)
1/30/11
I got Pages 09 and Endnote 02 one year ago and they both used to work very well until the last week, when I had to reset my Mac. After that I bought Pages 11 on the Mac Store and ever since I can´t insert an Endnote cite. I have tried everything the Endnote manual suggests, but ... (1 Comment)