MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

1/30/11
My laptop is losing power very quickly once disconnected from ac power supply.It is currently showing ‘not charging’ even thought it shows as 100%. I presume I need to buy a new battery from the apple store. —– Michael O’farrell ... (2 Comments)
1/30/11
I’m been trying to sync my address book with Yahoo but it does not accept my yahoo password, it keeps saying it’s a wrong password. Do you have any idea what’s wrong? Thanks for the help ! —– Victor ... (1 Comment)
1/30/11
Gary I cant seem to reset the pram on my Imac that has a wireless keyboard. Every time I try CMD OPTION P & R it still just reboots as always and the Desktop shows up. ! Any Tips ? Thanks :) —– Cyrus Dubash ... (1 Comment)
1/29/11
I just upgraded Sketchbook Express from the Mac AppStore. I went to launch the app by clicking on the Applications Folder I keep in my Dock (OSX 10.6.6) only to be surprised not to find it in there. The application is in the Applications folder when I use Finder, but never shows ... (1 Comment)
1/28/11
Hi GAry… I am a complete Mac fan and switched from Windows. I wont ever go back to it. Though there is one thing I have not been able to crack ! I am a passionate singer and I often use to sing on my windows machine using a microphone headset and actually hear myself while ... (2 Comments)
1/28/11
how do delete a section of tex that has been highlighted —– colin ... (1 Comment)
1/27/11
I’ve highlighted some text from wikipedia and copy/pasted it to my Pages document. The paragraph included some text as hyperlinks, but I only want the text in the document to read as normal text, and the there is a blue border around the formerly hyperlink words. Is there ... (7 Comments)
1/27/11
Hi Gary, I recently installed the “Safari” extension “Click to Flash” I`m really satisfied with it`s overall performance and versatility. I was just wondering if you have played with this extension, you being a Professional Mac user, I`m very interested in ... (1 Comment)
1/27/11
I use Numbers at home and know my way around it pretty well but have to use Excel for Mac (08) at work. In Excel, I can’t figure out how to create a column with a total at the bottom that I could continue to add data to without leaving a bunch of empty cells. In Numbers I ... (5 Comments)
1/27/11
I just got a new MacBook Pro. My last Macbook was swapped out from Apple because it was having some issues. I did a time machine backup of the old laptop and did a full restore on the new one. I’m worried that there are some issues with the restore. For example, the ... (7 Comments)
1/26/11
What is the best way to transfer files from my pc to iPad. I have tried looking for a cable that has plugs into iPad but has a female USB port, that would allow me to plug flash drive in, and transfer files. Is there such a cable, if not, how who one go about doing this. Im ... (1 Comment)
1/26/11
Is there a way to have a machine (imac OSX 10.6.6) wake up in the middle of the night to run a CCC backup (while you are sleeping) —– Ralph ... (1 Comment)
1/26/11
First of all, Gary, thanks a lot for your very helpful videos! I have produced two iPhone apps and I want to promote them using video capture. I know it can be done because there are some very nice app tutorials on YouTube. The problem is, I haven’t been able to find out ... (1 Comment)
1/25/11
I simply love your website and thank you for teaching us so many new things. I agreed with you completely about the Shutdown & Sleep Modes… I have started using the Sleep mode but just once concern is that the rear top of the Imac remains Hot while in the Sleep mode. Is ... (3 Comments)
1/25/11
Hi, Gary. every time I click on update my mac, the apple store app does not appear as an options….Please, How can I download it to install it on my mac??? Thanks!! —– sergio ... (3 Comments)
1/25/11
Of course, I only intend to use it with Macs. Do you think it would have better performance than using FAT? Thanks! —– Alejandro ... (3 Comments)
1/25/11
Hi Gary..I saw your video on Mobileme. I’ve signed up for the free trial and will buy it once it’s over but I have some queries. When I choose Finder>Go>Idisk>My Idisk, a finder window opens. I’ve copied a bunch of files to the documents, pictures and ... (4 Comments)
1/25/11
Hi Gary, Hope you can help. I have my itunes library on an external drive connected to my imac. All was going great until when trying to add another movie to my library my external drive said it had run out of space. My idea was to move my movies back to my imac( itunes), whilst ... (14 Comments)
1/25/11
I’m a little confused about the difference between Time Machine backups and cloning my hard drive. Could you explain to me what people mean when they say they have a separate external disk for Time MAchine backups and a separate external disk/partition for a bootable ... (4 Comments)
1/24/11
Always when I sync my iPhone, iTunes spends a lot of time in “Importing Photos, Step 4 of 4”. Why?? I’ve not asked it to import any images. Often I’ve just perfomed a sync and doing a second one to get rid of thos items I’ve unchecked – so ... (6 Comments)