MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

1/3/11
I am going to be starting a “nuke and pave” rebuild of my system with a new hard drive fairly soon. I have been told by different people that making a bootable disc image of the OS X install DVD will make the install process go much faster. How would I go about ... (1 Comment)
1/3/11
Maybe I’m just too old, but I just watched your Twitter “lists” video, and Twitter seems unmanageable to me (I actually already do have lists), and a huge waste of time. I do facebook occasionally, and email and actually use the phone. Is this just a ... (1 Comment)
1/3/11
Hi – I am struggling to play movies and shows i’ve downloaded from itunes store in full screen either on my imac or my apple TV. Tried deleting preference files as i read on one of the forums but doesn’t work. Anyone have a solution? ... (4 Comments)
1/2/11
My parents will be making the move from their PC to iMAC. What is the best way to transfer over their existing files, email addresses, bookmarks, itunes, photos etc? —– Pat ... (2 Comments)
1/2/11
I have a Mac mini attached to an HDTV and an amplifier as a media center. I am only getting stereo sound through the amplifier. Is there a way to get 5.1 dolby output? The connection from the Mac is a toslink to optical cable. —– Hozman ...
1/2/11
Do you know why my iTunes subscription to MacMost Now restarted downloading all of the podcasts, beginning with #1? Each time I open iTunes, I get 4-5 three year old podcasts streaming to my Mac. —– Brian A. Foster ... (1 Comment)
1/2/11
Have an extern (network) disk connected (USB) to my Cisco Router. From my new Mac I can se the disk and work with files on the disk. However, I tried to setup Time Machine, but this application doesn’t see the hard disk. Can anyone help? —– Jan Præst ... (6 Comments)
1/2/11
I have a little question regarding the USB 3.0, is there any way to use the external HDD USB 3.0 with iMac or Macbook Pro computers? Thanks in advance for taking time to reply since I think it’s an important issue for so many Apple products users. —– Sartre ... (5 Comments)
1/2/11
Happy new year to you and your staff. How can I sync calendars on my iPad iphone4, and iMac with out using mobile me or the iTunes sync I need this done automatically when info is entered on any one of these devices —– Paulie3660 ... (1 Comment)
1/1/11
Does anyone know of an app for doing Optical Character Recognition? I’m trying to find a simple way of getting lyrics from a printed sheet into iTunes, and i figured “there’s gotta be an App for that”, but i’ve searched iTunes and apple.com and ... (2 Comments)
1/1/11
I am having trouble publishing a video via imovie ’11. I want to publish it to facebook so I clicked shared => facebook which brought up a box requiring me to enter my facebook info. I did so by copy and pasting straight from keychain. When I click publish it brings up ... (4 Comments)
12/31/10
New MAC-user. How Do I sync (only Contacts and Calendar) From iPhone to Outlook 2011? I prefer only to use iTunes. As far as I can see, iTunes formerly was able to make such a sync. —– Jan Præst ... (3 Comments)
12/30/10
Hey Gary I wanted to ask you since I know you have the new Apple TV(or I suppose), but first let me say that I also own a first generation Apple TV and when I would rent a standard def movie from iTunes it would generally take around 45min to an hour which was OK with me because ... (9 Comments)
12/30/10
My wife’s site is www.AdoptAnOregonDog.com. It has been created with iWeb. If people access, for example, the 12/29 blog, in some cases the comments window opens and operates perfectly, in other cases the window displays with items simply listed vertically, unformatted, ... (7 Comments)
12/30/10
What kind of cable goes from my modem to my mac? Is it a CAT 5, CAT 6 or something else? Can I run one 25ft to another room without losing signal? —– Bruce ... (1 Comment)
12/30/10
I made the switch from POP3 to IMap about week ago, all seems to be running well except one issue. When I am typing an email in apple mail and I mis-spell a word (than correct it) or hit backspace or any other adjustments, I am then sent email(s) to the gmail trash folder in ... (7 Comments)
12/30/10
I use my scanner with Adobe Acrobat 9 very often. With the System utility (in German ) you can activate the scanning options dialog. I was not able to create a keyboard short-cut to do this. I tried to make a script with automator. It failed too :-(. Is someone here with an idea ...
12/29/10
I am trying to find either a 3rd party software or a way within mac os x (10.6.5) to backup data from my NAS drive to an external USB drive. Both the NAS drive and the USB drive are 4TB drives. It seems like everything out there cannot backup from a NAS drive, only to a NAS ... (3 Comments)
12/29/10
my macbook still has my original name that I gave it the day I got out of the box, and till recently this was the name that it showed its self as on my home network. recently it has changed its name to host95. I have no explanation for this, and have checked various settings in ... (4 Comments)
12/29/10
Dnt know if you can help but hey if you dnt ask you dnt get ;-) im looking for some software similar to Rack2-Filer that will file and organise scanned docs etc, Rack2-Filer looks great only thing is they are producing for mac. —– colin …… uk ... (1 Comment)