MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/6/10
I have Safari 5.0.2 and run Leopard 10.5.8 on my MacBook Pro. When I bought my computer 14 months ago Safari ran flawlessly, however, since the last two updates on Safari my productivity continues to decline. On average, Safari crashes 3x a day on me. I have the latest version of ... (3 Comments)
11/5/10
I have osx 10.5.8 and have x11 installed, but every time I try to load it to run gimp or inkscape, it won’t load. Neither program will run without x11. I have reloaded from my install disc, but still no luck. What can I do? —– Joe ... (2 Comments)
11/5/10
How can I change the letter type and/or style (bold etc) in a Textbox in Aperture’s Web Journal —– Cor van der Linden ... (1 Comment)
11/5/10
My 32fb wifi iPad has a couple categories of data I can’t figure out. Under the Apps tab in iTunes/ipad I have 8.3gb taken for Apps, and 5 gb taken for “Other”. While it is a fairly full iPad, I certainly don’t have 8.3 gb of apps, and the viewing the ... (5 Comments)
11/5/10
Can I piggy back a movie trailer on an Imovie movie? So from the trailer goes right into the movie? Also, can I use photos in the trailer? thanks —– Rick ... (5 Comments)
11/5/10
Hi, I have a problem where Time Machine starts to backup and backs up about 25GB or so. it stops abruptly and looks like it is done, however has not backed up most of the data. There is over 750GB that i need to backup. I have been using SuperDuper in the meantime however this ... (2 Comments)
11/4/10
I love and use magic prefs judiciously, but I am having difficulty finding a comparable solution for a trackpad or the magic trackpad. Any tips or applications for customizing geastures more than apples settings?? —– Will ... (1 Comment)
11/4/10
I am about to migrate from my beloved (but slowly dying) 12 inch G4 Powerbook to a just-ordered 13 inch MacBook Pro. I have iLife ’04 on the PB and the new machine should come with iLife 11. Any words of advice for upgrading the iPhoto library and iMovie projects with the ... (6 Comments)
11/4/10
I have Windows Office for Mac on my computer (I know!!). Incidentally I am planning on updating it this week to the 2011 version. There is a folder in my Documents folder called Microsoft User Data. I delete it and then it pops up when I use an Office app like Word. Can I get rid ... (1 Comment)
11/3/10
How does iTunes decide how many and what kind of Genius Mixes to create? I have a lot of “Easy Listening” music, but there’s no Genius Mix for that. —– Kirk Aplin ... (2 Comments)
11/3/10
Your video podcasts no longer transfer to Apple TV (first gen). Did the video format change? —– Chuck ... (1 Comment)
11/3/10
Just wondering if anyone had an idea if the difference in quality justified the $20 price difference (HD vs. SD) in downloading TV shows from iTunes. I’ll be watching on my laptop (MacBook Pro 15″). —– Kevin ... (1 Comment)
11/2/10
I was playing around and a came across a terminal command to put the widget on the desktop. After I put the widget back into dashboard it messed up the widget. The widget is visible when dashboard is launched, but it is inoperable. How can I undo the terminal command so that ... (5 Comments)
11/2/10
I have a iMac running Snow Leopard system 10.6.4. Recently I have been trying to figure out why my Hotmail account-Windows Live will not stay as a “Top Site” in my iMac screen. I place it in as a Bookmark -“Add Bookmark” as a Top Site & give it a ... (3 Comments)
11/2/10
I have had Gimp 2.6.5 on my system for a while. Today I downloaded and installed its latest user manual. Now when I choose Help>User Manual from Gimp it says I do not have the manual installed. It is looking in the wrong place for the help files (and I know where they are). ... (1 Comment)
11/2/10
I typed up a four-page document in Word. Several times in the document, I inserted a two-column table, pasted a jpg photo in one cell and continued typing the document in the cell next to the photo. The photos are 640 x 480 pixels; some are 40KB in size; some are 70 KB. ... (1 Comment)
11/2/10
Why can I not connect my iPad to the bluetooth hands free car kit and my iPhone works perfectly? —– Paul ... (1 Comment)
11/1/10
I have a Directv DVR(new one) that I use for my tv purposes, but I want to get a mac mini hooked up for video, but I still want to record stuff through my cable onto my mac to use with plex, an app i saw on maclife.com, so i want to know, is it legal or even possible to record ... (1 Comment)
11/1/10
when Im on my ipod and try to do anything like download apps, i type in my password and email for my itunes account and this thing pops up saying, “This apple ID has been disabled for security reasons” I have no idea what that means and i do not understand how to fix ... (1 Comment)
11/1/10
I tried to install an app today (Tesla Toy) and the installation was interrupted by a message that iTunes had AGAIN changed the terms and conditions and I must first read them and agree. In the meantime, it stuck the beginning of the app on the next available location and said ... (2 Comments)