MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/15/10
I have a HDMI cable from my iMac to my Samsung LED TV UE32B6000. I also use a convertor: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (With Digital Audio).I can see movies on my TV, but the sound is still on my iMac. If I introduce the audio jack in the headphones orifice, I cannot hear ... (2 Comments)
11/15/10
I don’t know why the cursor goes to the bottom of my homepage when I click on Safari. Is there a way to keep the cursor at the top of the homepage? Thanks. —– Mary ... (4 Comments)
11/15/10
Love your podcasts. Do you think you’ll ever do one regarding the Elgato products? Thanks. —– Spence ... (1 Comment)
11/15/10
The MacMost videos relating to GarageBand have been very helpful. But I’m wondering if there is a bigger and more comprehensive source to help me better understand how to use and create loops for my iMovie projects. It’s not clear to me why some loops are defined in ... (3 Comments)
11/14/10
My 13-inch Macbook was stolen about 2 weeks ago, along with all of my photos, videos and pictures on it. Luckily, I do have an external hard drive that I had been using to back it up. However, since I was still using Tiger OS at the time of the burglary, none of the backups ... (2 Comments)
11/12/10
I’d like to delete some books off my computer, but back them up on an external hard drive for future use. Is there a way to do this so that I can have the option to order them in the future through Apple? Is it just a matter of saving it as a PDF, and if so, how would one ... (3 Comments)
11/12/10
I’ve tried saving some a couple different books as pdf’s and the following error pops up in Adobe… “There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.” What does this mean? —– Sharon ... (2 Comments)
11/12/10
I made my agenda for what was supposed to be 2011 but made it for 2012. Is there any way I can change the year without having to re enter every item? I had only filled in Sundays. Thanks. Ed —– Edward Rangel ... (1 Comment)
11/11/10
I have a fair amount of programming background (FORTRAN, APL, BASIC and Pascal) but I haven’t done any pc programming since replacing my Apple IIGS with a Mac. How do I go about learning to program on the Mac? (assuming that’s possible?) —– Kirk Aplin ... (1 Comment)
11/11/10
I have an iPod Touch purchased about 6 months ago. It’s running on version 4.1. Up until a week or so, whenever I played music the volume control appeared on the bottom of the screen and a sliding bar on top of the screen indicated what part of the song you were listening ... (7 Comments)
11/11/10
about a month ago the Hard Drive in my ’09 iMac was replaced by Apple at the Apple Store. Oddly, my cooling fan is way busier now than before the replacement. My iMac used to be very quiet. only massive ext HD file management, or an evening with Aperture or imovie would ... (2 Comments)
11/11/10
I have a few questions relating to the EFI Firmware utility thats hidden but supplied on the Snow Leopard install disc. Essentially I’ve installed this and set a password on my mac, the effect of that is holding down the C key on boot up prevents you from booting off a CD ... (3 Comments)
11/10/10
Hey, i was wondering what software do you use to record your tutorials. —– Bilal ... (1 Comment)
11/10/10
Hi Gary, I have an HP PC that is older than time. It is wireless and on all the time for use. If I connect it wirelessly to my Apple TV, can the ATV read media off the external HD on the PC if that is where the iTunes is directed? —– Jason ... (4 Comments)
11/9/10
Every time I go to download updates for apps in iTunes, I get a message saying that the information on the page is outdated, even though I just clicked the “check for updates” button. Why is it doing this and how do I get it to stop? —– Todd A. Peperkorn ... (1 Comment)
11/8/10
setting up a password to protect from others using the time capsule as a router. —– bill k ... (1 Comment)
11/8/10
I have a 13GB AVCHD folder and want to archive it. I have saved to my external drive for now. I been trying to archive with Toast, will not archive on DVD-R, Toast is telling me it’s not Blue Rey disk. Now the problem I am running into is that my new imac will not read blue ... (4 Comments)
11/7/10
I have a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, built July 2004. It is currently running OS X 10.5.8. At some point it lost the ability to run OS 9, even in Classic Mode. I assume that’s because of a firmware upgrade at some point. (?) I’m looking to replace it as my mobile mac, but I ... (3 Comments)
11/6/10
I’m in over my head. I want to send my garage band files to a professional. But i cant get it into a ftp site as individual files as an aif or wav. Those are the file types the producer needs to use in pro tools and digital performer. I can upload a .band file only and I ... (1 Comment)
11/6/10
Can you please tell me what is the purpose of the last key on the right on the row with the function keys? A pointing up triangle with a line below it. Thank you. —– Shirl Parker ... (2 Comments)