MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

10/15/13
I run a lab that has 9 iMacs. All have Adobe Reader installed. I prefer that the students use Preview to learn how to (for example)use Safari to access Apple.com > Manuals, view them and use File >Save As to save them to their computer. —– Shirley Allan ... (7 Comments)
10/10/13
Once in a while, when I send a message via the Message app, it will say, “Sent as a text message.” What does this mean? What’s the difference? I have friends in Europe who send me Messages from their iPhones. If I reply, does that cost money, or is it just using ... (8 Comments)
10/7/13
I just got an external drive for my Mac Mini and set it up as the Time Machine for backups. I looked at Preferences|Time Machine where it tells me the frequency of backups, and it says that it will delete old backups when the drive becomes full. Given that it is a 1 TB drive, ... (6 Comments)
10/7/13
I have a 2009 Mac Pro (not MacBook Pro) and I pretty sure I only have plain 10.8.5 installed. A supplemental for 10.8.5 came out, but when I do Software Update, it says no updates. The supplemental doesn’t apply for Mac Pros? I already have it? If so, how do I check if I ... (5 Comments)
10/6/13
How do I just print certain names from my Apple address book group when printing mailing labels? I don’t want the whole list. I am using Lion. —– Lois ... (1 Comment)
10/6/13
Hi Gary, I take photos and movie clips on my Fuji camera and download them into iPhoto on my iMac, I can view both photos and movie clips on the iMac perfectly. When syncing my iPad to the iMac the movie clips don’t sync across – only the photos. I understand it can ... (10 Comments)
10/6/13
Hi Gary, all photos I take with my iPad automatically appear on my iMac via photo stream. I have taken movie with my iPad now but it’s not appearing on my iMac via photo stream. It worked before iOS 7. Please help, thanks —– Sylvia cooke ... (3 Comments)
10/5/13
When I am finished listening to iTunes Radio on my iPhone how do I turn the Radio off? I have iOS 7 on my phone. It just keeps playing even when I leave the music app. —– Patricia Dwy ... (1 Comment)
10/1/13
I have a recent MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) running OS v10.8.5. I use Dashboard a lot and would like a quick way to access it. Since I use the trackpad gesture to access Mission Control, I don’t use the F4 key (2×3 grid picture) to access it. I would love to be ... (7 Comments)
9/27/13
Where do you turn it on? iOS6 it was in settings under safari. Where is it now? —– Eoghan Champkin in Japan ... (2 Comments)
9/27/13
At this given site there is a fill-in field for the username. By mistake typing safari memorized a wrong username. Now this wrong username always appears as a suggestion of filling along with the other usual username. How can I delete this wrong username? —– Marcos ... (4 Comments)
9/26/13
Whenever I search for serious apps that perform a useful function I am overwhelmed by games. Is there a way to remove games from my search? —– Adam ... (2 Comments)
9/26/13
My carrier connection on my phone is not good and only works near the window so I have to go near a window to use my data connection. When I do go near a window it usually takes several minutes for the 4G connection to automatically connect but if I quickly turn airplane mode on ... (4 Comments)
9/25/13
In iOS7, under updates there are two sections. The top section appears only when there are updates available and it is called “Pending Updates”. The lower section is all the apps that have been updated and is divided into the dates the update occured. My problem is ... (10 Comments)
9/24/13
Hi Gary, I have just found that I can now link contacts, but not sure why I would want to. I linked my friend’s contact with his mothers contact but found that after I had done this, it just created one large contact for his mother, with his details below his mother. I also ... (3 Comments)
9/24/13
Hi Gary, Thanks for your hard work and dedication to Macology. When opening a folder I have it set up to view the content as icons. But if I decide to make the window smaller some of the icons become hidden outside the window dimension and I have to either scroll to see them all ... (1 Comment)
9/20/13
In the old Safari “reader” it was possible to adjust the font size, which would adjust the number of words per line. And you can still do that in Safari in OS X; has that function been eliminated from Safari in iOS-7, or is it just that I can’t find ... (7 Comments)
9/18/13
One of the new apps released with iOS 7 is a calculator, and several of the functions on this calculator are exponentiation. But I am puzzled how the functions x**y and y**x work (x to the y-th power and y to the x-th power). In particular, how do we set the value of y? If this ... (2 Comments)
9/18/13
I have a 27″ iMac (2011) and am using Lion. When I download photos from my card to a folder I’ve made for them on the desktop, all the photos have the typical …img2345.jpg nomenclature. After going thru them and deleting the non-keepers, I want to rename the ... (5 Comments)
9/16/13
Hi there! I recently made a 15 second video using iMovie ’08. The video is comprised of 5 high resolution images, with transitions and a title slide on the last image. When I export this (using Quicktime), the images are graining and fuzzy. I have searched a lot of ... (3 Comments)