MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/16/13
Our son has just gone to boarding school and we discovered he couldn’t take his music with him (the music on our family iTunes account). Well, he could but he would never be able to sync or add to it again. So we’ve been stung….not realising when we created our ... (1 Comment)
9/14/13
I am a teacher and I created many spreadsheets for students skills. For EX: i listed out the alphabet in columns and the date assessed in rows. I place a check in the box if the child identified the letter correctly, and leave it empty if they did not. How can I get the program ... (3 Comments)
9/13/13
I watch your MacMost video every day and enjoy it. When a contact in my Mac computer AddressBook changes email addresses I change it in my AddressBook. However, the old email address stays in my Previous Recipients and is annoying when I fill out the “To” column and ... (5 Comments)
9/12/13
I am trying to print out a email company list for our boss. (From Contacts) He would like to see it in alphabetical order by company and not by the individuals name. Currently I can print the list out showing the persons first name and last name with the company name underneath ... (1 Comment)
9/12/13
I’ve done this on previous versions, but not in 11.0.5. I’m importing older records into iTunes and have to add the artwork. I’ve found the artwork, but can’t seem to figure out how to paste into the program. Used to be, the small block on the bottom of ... (5 Comments)
9/11/13
I am using iPhoto 09 on my 3 year old iMac. I now also have an iPad and an iPhone. How do I get photos from them onto my iMac? I know they are in the iCloud and go between my iPad and iPhone. —– Louise Schlosser ... (5 Comments)
9/11/13
The photo rotators on my company website require pictures to be 630 x 430 pixels. When using the crop command, I select the constrain custom option and type the pixels in the boxes. I also export using the same parameters. This works great; however, I have to do this hundreds of ... (2 Comments)
9/10/13
I am using iMovie 11 on a Mac OS X Version 10.7.5. I have a clip that is about 1 minute long. I’d like to use it as a backdrop for my movie credits. When I open the video in projects, it appears as one section. How do I break it into sections to add multiple title pages to ... (2 Comments)
9/9/13
How do I find out how much available space I have on my Mac Book and Mac Book Pro laptop? —– Byron Robinson ... (2 Comments)
9/5/13
I would like to combine 2 jpg images using Preview on the Mac. I want them to appear as one image that can be used in a fullscreen(HD) project that I am working on in iMovie. thanks! —– Allan ... (7 Comments)
9/5/13
When traveling, I load pictures to my iPad directly from my camera so I can better view them and make some modifications using graphic apps on the iPad. I only have a 16G iPad and I don’t want to dump all my apps to free up space. Rather than taking my MacBook Pro along all ... (7 Comments)
9/4/13
What are the keystrokes for the copyright and trade mark symbols? —– Steve Andrews ... (4 Comments)
9/3/13
Is there a way to easily show one calendar at a time on Mac Calendar? I have “on my Mac”, “iCloud” and several Google account calendars set up. I have about 20 different categories set up under both “on my Mac” and “iCloud”. If I ... (1 Comment)
9/1/13
I just noticed that on my iMac the Mobile Applications folder is taking 7.49 GB of space, with many many older versions of the apps. Is there a way to clean it out other than removing them one at a time? Is that even a good idea? —– Robert Poland ... (1 Comment)
8/30/13
How do I share books downloaded from iTunes to my iMac and synced to my iPad and iPhone with the rest of my family on their iPads? —– Lorraine McKenzie ... (1 Comment)
8/29/13
I have a white iMac OS X 10.5 I want to use as a kiOSk. When the iMac is powered on, I would like it to play a movie Presentation automatically. Tried putting the movie in startup folder, but it didn’t work. Any help appreciated. —– Norman Runge ... (2 Comments)
8/29/13
Gary, my Computer Sleep and Display Sleep are both set to 15 minutes and it’s annoying. Is it OK to turn off Sleep completely? The window that pops up says it uses more energy. Is that a problem since I leave my Mac Mini on all the time. thanks —– Peter ... (1 Comment)
8/26/13
Just watched MacMost Now episode 908. About 40 seconds in, you mention in reference to video formats, “you can convert them using iTunes.” I was not aware of this functionality in iTunes. How does this work? Do you have a past episode explaining how to do ... (3 Comments)
8/26/13
I am typing a new notebook for Karaoke. Therefore I have 3 columns. Column A is the track name, Column B is the Artist and Column C is the track number for my reference in location of the song. I have duplicate entries and need to remove these. The problem is say for example we ... (1 Comment)
8/25/13
I’m finding that using Siri is a crap shoot. “Her” mistakes often outnumber her successes. I speak clearly and succinctly yet she doesn’t get it right. It happens with “Open Sig-Alert App” half the time (not always) and “Call Sue, ... (6 Comments)