MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

12/23/10
I recently downloaded Handbrake to import my dvd collection into my computer. The download was successful, but the icon in the applications folder on the dock doesn’t properly display the icon. It displays a circle with a line thru it. However in the finder and on the dock ... (7 Comments)
12/23/10
When formatting an external hard drive for use with both Windows and Mac. computers, what format should I use. The literature with the external hard drive states that it is formatted HFS+. What is the difference between (HFS+) and (Apple Partition Map)or(GUID) and (NTFS)? I tried ... (2 Comments)
12/22/10
I switched from Windows to Mac a couple of years ago and of course I will never go back, but there were a few window’s features that I liked. On is that you can highlight several files in Windows Explorer and hit the Enter key and Windows will open all the files. I’m ... (1 Comment)
12/22/10
I accessing my hotmail account using mail, the only problem I have is that I cannot see any junk mail sent to me. How do I set up a junk mail folder in my Mailboxes? —– Ralph ... (3 Comments)
12/21/10
I recently picked up a m2 micro projector from a small company called aaxa tech. Its an amazing projector that can fit in the palm of your hand yet still produce native xga 1024×768 resolution. It also has a/v input, vga, usb, and hdmi. I wanted to know what I would need to ... (5 Comments)
12/21/10
I watched your video on Handbrake, which I found helpful since I think Handbrake is rather intimidating to anyone not fluent in video. Most of the time, however I use RipIt from the Little AppFactory to make digital copies of dvds, both commercial and home-recorded, and have ... (3 Comments)
12/21/10
In the iTunes Library panel, the listing for Apps indicates there are 4 app updates available, but when I try to perform the updates, it says No Updates Are Currently Available. What’s up with that? —– Shirl Parker ... (1 Comment)
12/20/10
I just got a Slingbox remote device for accessing the DISH Network on my Mac, iPad, or PC. When I try to access on my Mac, I get the following message: “Safari needs to be set to 32-bit mode to watch TV on a Mac running Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).” How do I put ... (3 Comments)
12/19/10
I notice when I add an address to my Address Book and save the name as say Kathy for the first name, when I want to email that person the name then comes up as Kathy Kathy in Apple Mail. When I go back to edit to the correct name and save changes it does it again. Sometimes I ... (4 Comments)
12/18/10
I used 1Password to generate an answer to a security question (e.g. What’s your favorite color?), pasted it in the security question field. I thought I still had it in the clipboard, but when I went to paste the generated password to make a note of it . . . nothing! Is ... (2 Comments)
12/18/10
Question 1: What do I need (using Snow Leopard) to transfer VHS material to DVD? Question 2: What do I need to selectively transfer *some, but not all* DVD music videos to an iPod? —– John Russell ... (1 Comment)
12/18/10
I have a June 2010 17″ 2.66 i7 UMBP which has a 500GB internal HD. I recently purchased an external HD of the same capacity so I could keep a full back up of all my data. The internal HD shows capacity of 499.76GB with 160.24GB free. After connecting the external HD to the ... (1 Comment)
12/18/10
1. Does Keynote use a reference folder for all the media files, like Powerpoint does? In other words, can I delete the original music and video files once I’ve saved my Keynote? 2. I keep using the Format-Font-Capitalization-All Caps funtion a lot to update some older ... (1 Comment)
12/17/10
Has anyone had any experience with a third party app called Printopia? I have a Macbook are and was interested if this works with laptops along with the Ipad and Itouch. Any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays. Milan —– Milan ... (1 Comment)
12/16/10
How can I put one of your pod casts onto a flash drive to use at a Mac club meeting as a teaching tool? —– John Gorman ... (1 Comment)
12/16/10
I think this is a great site, but I cannot seem to access the videos from my new Mac. Instead of the video, there is a message that reads, “missing plug-in.” What plug-in am I missing? —– Ralph T. Soule ... (5 Comments)
12/15/10
I have set up some folders on my iPad. Every time I try to move an app to a folder that is on a different page, it won’t move. How can I get this done? —– Kathy Scott ... (6 Comments)
12/15/10
Hi Gary,since adding Gmail to my mail application on my macbook pro, i have the gmail mailbox in my inbox but I also have another Gmail mailbox below which gets frustrating to have since every time i get a new email into my gmail account, it appears both in the inbox and in ... (6 Comments)
12/14/10
We will be going on a trip soon and taking Iphone 4. Two questions: 1) If we rent some movies from Itunes prior to our trip, can we watch them in the plane on iphone (on Airplane mode). Or do you need to be able to connect to the Internet via Itunes? Do the rented movies actually ... (2 Comments)
12/14/10
I took a screen capture using shift command 4. I also did it again using shift control command 4. It took the image but I don’t know were it saved it. From my understanding it was suppose to save it to a clipboard, but I don’t know where this clipboard is. I was ... (1 Comment)