MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

12/14/10
I have a rather large amount of media in iTunes (i just had to upgrade to a 1TB HD for my media center, but can’t and don’t want to put anything other than the music on my PowerBook. Is there anyway I can transfer just the music to the PB WITHOUT losing all the tags ... (8 Comments)
12/14/10
It seems that when I export an iMovie project to itunes it is producing two copies: The first one under my user name>movies>imovies>itunes The second one under my user name>music.itunes/itunesmusic/movies This this a duplication and if so how would I prevent it as I ... (1 Comment)
12/14/10
I got hooked on these story games on the ipad until I realized they were more demanding than my partner and tried to kill them. You can open the multiprocess bar and kill the game by holding the icon for five seconds, then hitting the red minus button on the icon. I discovered a ... (3 Comments)
12/14/10
I’m wondering if there’s a way to password protect a document in Pages. I want to create a document that can only be accessed by me. I don’t want to password protect the entire computer when logging in. —– Vicky ... (3 Comments)
12/14/10
There are dozens of videos and apps all claiming to enable emoji on the ipad, none coming close to the Iphones solution, clumsy as it may be. At least its functional. There are guides indicating that enabling the standard Japanese keyboard on the ipad and then typing the keyword ... (2 Comments)
12/14/10
I wondered if anyone can help. My company has a superb product for the NHS (UK at the moment but would work anywhere in the world) and I am looking to talk to someone in the Apple organisation about their strategic marketing to the NHS as this would certainly open up huge ... (1 Comment)
12/13/10
Gary any ideas how can iMovie make intro for video or any other software. Do you have any videos on making intros for videos? —– Richard24 ... (1 Comment)
12/12/10
Is there a way of adding a cutaway image to a green screen video clip and maintain the audio like in a documentary? I can’t get it to work. The image ends up alongside the green screen background. Of course, the cutaway works perfectly when there is no green screen ... (3 Comments)
12/12/10
Until recently, I had a single collection of calendars (“ON MY MAC”). Syncing among my Mac, my iPhone, and Mobile Me worked perfectly. At some point, I acquired a duplicate set of calendars (“myname@ME.COM”). Only the latter set syncs. I can and do publish ... (1 Comment)
12/12/10
My friend bought someone’s MacBook and it says “Jane Doe’s MacBook” in several places. How can I change this for her? —– Shirl Parker ... (1 Comment)
12/12/10
Hi Gary Just watched your automator podcast and tried it on my downloads folder all new images put in moved but existing images in my downloads folder didn’t move to the new folder. Have i done some thing wrong thanks Simon —– Simon ... (2 Comments)
12/12/10
It’s a little difficult to clearly explain what my question is but I’ll try to frame it best I can. I have lots of small clippings of various productions/plays/events our group has done…most in mp4. Now I’m storing them all in an external HDD. So there are ... (2 Comments)
12/11/10
What does a yellow triangle with exclamation mark on external drive shown in the event library in iMovie 11 mean? I am also not able to drag an event or a project on to the external drive to store these files on the external drives. I have the external drive connected via the ... (3 Comments)
12/11/10
On a whim i wanted to make a smart playlist that would collect my tunes with numbers in the title, like ‘2000 Light Years From Home’ by the Stones, or ‘1980’ by Herb Alpert or even ’25 or 6 to 4′ by Chicago. I haven’t come up with a good ... (1 Comment)
12/11/10
I am trying to use a feed from one of my MobileMe galleries to create an RSS slideshow on my blog. The feed is: http://photocast.me.com/toddpeperkorn/100220/rss When I run this through the W3 feed validator it gives me all kinds of errors, and hence won’t work properly ... (2 Comments)
12/10/10
I have a iMac with a 1tb time capsule an iPad and iPhone with iOS 4.2 the airplay does not display my iMac or iPhone on the iPad and visa versa does airplay work with a time capsule and iMac the iPad does not show the iPhone either and visa versa can you help I can’t seem ... (4 Comments)
12/10/10
I currently have an iphone which I sync with my iMAC. My wife is also going to get an iphone. Can she also sync her iphone using my iMAC? Would she be able to download the music/movies that I already paid for using iTunes? —– Pat ... (1 Comment)
12/10/10
Recently my computer failed and I had to replace it. I lost all my photos on my computer but still have them on my iphone. Can I transfer the photos from my iphone back to my computer. If I try and sync it will only copy photos from the computer to the iphone not the other way. I ... (1 Comment)
12/9/10
Is there any way to force the facetime on mac go through proxy/socks. Because the mac is behind the firewall, it can’t reach to the internet directly. I have setup the proxy/socks in the network setting, but no luck, it got fail. I have tried to use the wireshark to capture ... (10 Comments)
12/9/10
Hey Gary, I have just re-installed iworks 08 on to my Macbook following a hard disk failure. The templates in Keynote and Pages along with the lines for tables in Numbers and it templates are missing. Can I try to re-install 08 again and over write the current files? and ... (4 Comments)