MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

12/1/10
I have a USB extension cable which i use to put a USB port out front of my iMac where I can easily connect it to a variety of peripherals used occasionally: external HD (archive), DSLR, iPods etc. When I want to connect my iPod however, I also have to pull out a USB-Dock ... (2 Comments)
12/1/10
Trying to figure out the best way to have all my photos in one location. I make it a point to upload photos from my iPhone and camera to my desktop as my laptop has limited storage, but when I read an email from my laptop often I would like to save a pic. It would be great to ... (2 Comments)
11/29/10
I use address book and syc to google contacts and my iphone. Is there a way to link people who have different phone/ email address but share an postal address; eg husband and wife, or different contacts at the same company. Do I have to assign the same address each time I make a ... (4 Comments)
11/29/10
Hi, I have a question about importing files into iMovie09. I have an external hard drive with a lot of footage on it. When I import some of those files, it re-creates them on my computer’s hard drive. I thought it would only do that if I was importing from a camera since ... (7 Comments)
11/28/10
I changed the hard drive in my Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz (T7200) processor and now the screen colors are all messed up. The screen has a blue tent to it. I was very careful to not damage anything and I made the change without any problem. I tried putting the old hard drive back ... (2 Comments)
11/27/10
I didn’t want to ask this as i know that someone already must have asked this already. its just i need help in it. A friend of mine bought a new PC. and she wants of course to sync her iphone with it now. but she doesn’t want to lose her data that are in her iphone. ... (1 Comment)
11/26/10
Do you use CS5 in your video production, or use CS5 in your other endeavors? I video edit with FCP7, have used Color and Soundtrack Pro to fix production issues, and now I am getting into creating Motion graphics. With some of the deals out there by Adobe, I am thinking of ... (3 Comments)
11/26/10
Will be getting Office 2011. Is it better to use Office 2008 Remove Office app, then install Office 2011? Or just let Office 2011 install “on top” of 2008? 2008 puts several files in the ~/Documents folder (home/documents), but I prefer having files on another HD. ... (1 Comment)
11/26/10
Is it possible to make a virtual CD/DVD out of a real, physical CD/DVD, so that I can keep is safely in the box and use the virtual one when I need it. By virtual CD/DVD I mean and image of a CD/DVD that would sit on the hard drive and when accessed, the OS would think it’s ... (1 Comment)
11/26/10
I just downloaded iOS 4.2 and then find out that AirPrint only works with hp eprint featured printers I thought that they were supposed to have a program you could install on a Mac or pc that would allow you to print like eurosmartz does until more printer makers added the ... (1 Comment)
11/26/10
I just bought a new monitor for my Macbook Pro. To my surprise when I opened the box I saw that it came with software, so I started to question whether or not it would work with my computer. I didn’t know if you have ever heard of a monitor not working with a Mac before? I ... (1 Comment)
11/25/10
Hello Kinda new with the Mac system. When Apple releases either new updates in the operating system how is installed to the Macbook? Is it a normal update through itunes? Thanks and happy holidays. —– Milan Miladinovic ... (1 Comment)
11/25/10
Gary & MacMosters (is that a word, even???) Our Middle School Student Council has taken and posted several pictures of activities, with the intent of allowing parents and students to download and print as they want. We’re using a photo page template in iWeb. However, ... (2 Comments)
11/25/10
Hello, Since the last Mac Os X software update (Nov 22) my MacPro is crashing (Kernel Panic) every time I try to access a website with Flash content. Either using Safari or Google Chrome. I removed the Flash Player plugin and Safari seems to work fine, but I can only watch ... (6 Comments)
11/24/10
It seems my iTunes has changed since I’ve updated to OS 4.2.1 for my iPods and iPad. The number which appears next to my “Podcasts” used to read “475” and now reads “27” but it seems nothing has actually changed in that library. ... (3 Comments)
11/24/10
If I bought the Mac Mini Server hook it up to my TV could it replace the functionality of Apple TV including Netflix? I believe the Mini could replace the service offered by MobileMe (especially now that Find My iPhone is free) and host websites. What’s the downside of ... (7 Comments)
11/23/10
I am notorious for ignoring the warning messages that appears stating that ‘you are now using reserve power’ and running the computer off the battery until it completely shuts down, then plugging it in and continuing my work from where I left off. I was wondering what ... (1 Comment)
11/22/10
I am concerned that someone can turn on my camera on my Macbook without me knowing. Is that possible? How do I know if the camera is in operation? —– Jim Moore ... (1 Comment)
11/22/10
Sometimes, I keep my MBP in the truck for a few days in a row. Now it’s getting colder, do I need to let get to room temp before using it? I have a SSD. How about the other extreme, real hot and humid weather, do I need to let it cool down to room ... (2 Comments)
11/22/10
I have many books and every chapter shows up much like a song in an album. I don’t need to see the chapters most of the time, just the name of the book. Is there a way to hide all the chapters for a book in iTunes until I want to see them? —– Jim Moore ... (1 Comment)