MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/22/10
I’d like to change the icon for iTunes, but i can’t do it the usual way (using get info). Is it not possible? or is their a trickier method needed? —– Kirk ... (1 Comment)
11/22/10
I have a picture I want to scan into my computer. It is too big for my printer to scan at once. I can scan half of it, then the other half. Is there an app or way to rejoin the 2 halves once they are scanned? —– Bruce ... (1 Comment)
11/21/10
Hi, Can video be brought into iMovie directly with the little video icon on the left side of the program connected to the camera? Or does it have to be brought in through either iPhoto or Aperture? I have a Canon 5DII and seem not to be able to use the little icon on ... (1 Comment)
11/21/10
Do i need any device to view TV programs on my iMac. I have a Hauppauge! HD PVR and using EYE TV 3.4.3. all though I do have a HD-DVR box from my cable company. I tried using just EYE TV and the HD PVR and did not work, although in EYE TV app I do see my TV program schedule, but ... (1 Comment)
11/21/10
Hi, Today I purchased an old -but beautiful- Powermac G4. It came with no CDs… My question: how do I make a bootable CD from the Tiger OS? I have Carbon Copy Cloner, but I don’t know how I will be able to restore via Carbon Copy Cloner if something ... (1 Comment)
11/20/10
How to make your photo gallery “private” on me.com? If I make a photo gallery and make it viewable for me or everyone, I´m not having problems. As soon as I´m writing viewable for certain names with a password I´m not able to continue the process. This is what I ... (1 Comment)
11/20/10
Mac OS 10.6.5 and Sony Handycam DCR-SR80. Any ideas how to download the video? —– Danny Hunt ... (1 Comment)
11/20/10
So after installing Safari 5.0.3 (most recent update) my Mac restarts like it’s supposed to, but the menu bar didn’t load all the menu bar apps/icons e.g. clock, WiFi signal indicator. Some icons like for Caffeine were barely visible (could just make the out), and ... (1 Comment)
11/20/10
I have burned DVDs (old VHS tapes converted to DVDs) with Handbrake to iMac. How can I use them in iMovie? Cannot delete segments of the DVD within iMovie without deleting the whole burned DVD material. Want to make a montage with the old video and photos but think the old ... (3 Comments)
11/19/10
I’m trying to write a formula in a cell in one sheet but I also want it to write the formula in the same cell in another sheet – using the other cells within THAT sheet within the formula rather than the one I am working on. I think it is called “drilling ... (1 Comment)
11/18/10
By having a extra monitor hooked up to my iMac i7 what are the effects will it cause. Any slowdown or does it take away from any think on my iMac. Or will it cause any harm. —– Imacer99 ... (2 Comments)
11/18/10
Hi! Do i need to have a copy of “clean my mac” for my mac book pro? —– Claude ... (4 Comments)
11/18/10
I need to express a value in numbers that uses a letter as well as a digit(a school report) example English 6a math 5c art 5b ect and then make a chart from the data.i cant find a way for numbers to recognise that “a” is a higher value than “b” and adjust ... (6 Comments)
11/17/10
I’d sent off an email from my mobile phone (Nokia, not Iphone) yesterday. Today when I look at the Sent folder in my Mail, it doesn’t list the mail I’d sent off. I checked my gmail account by logging in through Safari and it’s showing there. Even clicking ... (1 Comment)
11/17/10
I am running the latest version of Safari on my MacBook and just the other day Flash player quit working properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash on my computer, but when I go to a website such as Youtube it only plays the audio with no video. Even more compelling is ... (8 Comments)
11/17/10
Does anybody out there know of a way to change the location of the text (metadata, including captions and titles), in slideshows? Must the text always appear over the photograph? We have around 30,000 photos to build into slideshows, so the text can not be added one slide at a ... (1 Comment)
11/17/10
I have a 50 page scan that I accidentally put in the copier backwards. Is there a way to reverse the ordering of the pages, so that page 50 is page one, 49 is 2, etc? I know I can do it manually by drag and drop, but this is a common enough problem that I figure someone must ... (2 Comments)
11/16/10
Never installed Entourage with Office 2008 because I heard it was bad and satisfied with iCal, Mail, and Address Book. Reading reviews that the new Outlook is really good, What’s your opinion, better than iCal, Mail and Address Book? Will Outlook work with MobileMe sync? ... (13 Comments)
11/16/10
Has anybody tried an external GPS device on his iPad such as: http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/ I’m assuming that will work with a non 3G iPad. How well does it work? —– Howard Brazee ...
11/15/10
I was thinking about buying disk warrior for my iMac i7. Than I thought about their is disk utilities on the startup disk, that does disk repair and repair permissions. What should I do. —– Imacer99 ... (7 Comments)