MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/13/10
Is there a good way to convert music saved as .wmv to Acc so it can work with itunes. I tried to download flip4mac from the Apple downloads website but the program did not work for me. — matt ... (1 Comment)
9/13/10
Is there a way to get the full file name to show on Desktop files? Thanks. — john forstall ... (6 Comments)
9/13/10
I have lots of movies on blu ray, I know you can buy external blu ray drives that plug into USB, will that work with mac? if so can you get software that will play it. — James Milne ... (1 Comment)
9/13/10
I use TimeMachine on a TimeCapsule for my backups. I also have all my ITunes Media on a different external drive as it is too large to keep on my MacBook Harddrive. The external drive with my Media is attached to the TimeCapsule so I can access it wirelessly. This works great and ... (2 Comments)
9/12/10
I have in iphoto 09, about 30 gig’s of photos and I think its bogging things down when I try to open it. It tends to slow on edit also and wonder if it is related to how many photos. (photos avg 2-3 mb, I have a 2.16ghz core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram and a 250 gb hard drive ... (2 Comments)
9/12/10
I am using a G4 quicksilver running leopard. It has two hard drives. I have some older programs that I would like to be able to run that require classic and ran well in 8.6 on my old iMac that died. Can I use the install disc from the iMac and install 8.6 on the second drive ... (1 Comment)
9/12/10
I am wanting to copy my CD collection to my external hard drive. I was going to start by ripping it into iTunes. Once I have moved the files to my external drive, is it ok to delete the songs out of iTunes to save hard drive space? — Joshua Tabor ... (1 Comment)
9/12/10
I have imovie 09 and when i try to input my new video project ( which is a big project) it won’t let me select my external bigger drive. When i click on save to it won’t give me a choice it always defaults to the Mac pro internal harddrive. I checked the settings and ... (3 Comments)
9/11/10
Gary, Can I print directly from my iPad and if I can, how do I set it up? Would I have to download a certain App to do it? Thanks again Gary! Ed — Ed ... (2 Comments)
9/11/10
Hi. I am having difficulty in installing the Adobe Photoshop CS5 on my mac. My configuration is Model Name: ... (1 Comment)
9/11/10
Hi Gary, I’m going to purchase an iPad today **Dances** . And I’m planning on buying books from the Kindle Book Store…. but is it possible to transfer the books that you bought from the Kindle Book Store on the iPad onto a Mac (for back up purposes)? Cheers! ... (2 Comments)
9/11/10
I’m new to Mac with my recent MacBook Pro purchase. I’ve bought Guide to Switching to the Mac which is a very good reference! I hope this is not a stupid question. I’ve been searching online and found most people think there is no need to install antivirus ... (1 Comment)
9/10/10
I am having some difficulties with my mail application. I am currently running my gmail account and my purdue mail account through it. I try to delete an email that I have read and no longer need. It disappears. Then if I leave the inbox portion of mail or close the mail window ... (3 Comments)
9/10/10
Dear Gary, I have a memory card reader that works fine with windows. My MacBook Pro however doesn’t recognize it. Do I need a driver for this? The vendor (Amazon) doesn’t supply driver. The card is: Memory Card Reader Mini SD MMC Mobile SDHC M2 TF XD CF. Many ... (1 Comment)
9/10/10
Hi Gary I have just started with a MobileMe trial as I was tired of keeping my iPhone, iPad and MacBook synced manually. However I am wondering whether I have all settings correct as for example recently I added a contact on my iPad and it never synced to the Mac or phone. Also ... (12 Comments)
9/9/10
DLing a Cal event from the web onto my Mac is great. It saves me a lot of typing. I tried that on the iPhone when on the iPhone’s web, but instead it subscribed me to a Cal instead of just inputting the event details. Now I have another Calendar on the iPhone that I ... (1 Comment)
9/9/10
I am new to Mac, coming from Windows, so I was under the impression that Mac OS X has about all you regarding utility programs all built-in, but I reading here and there that there are certain utilities that you need to get from 3rd parties, e.g. SuperDuper or CCC. There are ... (1 Comment)
9/9/10
Hello Gary. I have been fighting with my Airport extreme for over a week now and can find no one to shed some light on how to configure the Airport Extreme up to handle the microcell. I do not have a router but connect through cat5 to my airport and my desktop connects to a port ... (1 Comment)
9/9/10
Hi Gary, I’ve been using Ichat but have some queries….does deleteing a buddy on Ichat also delete them from the Gchat list that the Ichat is linked to? As in if I were to log in through Gmail and open googlechat, would they be gone or there? Similar query with Jabber ... (2 Comments)
9/8/10
I was in Safari when suddenly scroll wouldn’t work, then I got the beachball. None of the ways of bringing up force quite would work . . . holding shift command option escape for 5 seconds, going to the apple menu, option command escape, couldn’t bring up terminal to ... (14 Comments)