MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/20/10
How do I edit the mail contacts, which seem to be a random selection from my various email addresses. — Neil Sinclair ... (1 Comment)
9/20/10
Dear Gary In iCal there is an exclamation mark next to every location in the event inspector. What is that? Is it good for something? Thanks for help. Attila — Orgati ... (3 Comments)
9/19/10
Hi Gary, Is it possible to export documents created by pages on the iPad to a Mac? Thanks, Tommy — Tommy ... (1 Comment)
9/19/10
How to write @ character with Apple wireless keyboard? — BM ... (2 Comments)
9/18/10
With my PC (in a prior life), I could build a Excel portfolio spreadsheet containing individual stock symbols and, using a program provided by Money, when the sheet was opened, current quotes for the entered stocks were updated and returned into appropriate row cells for that ... (2 Comments)
9/18/10
Gary Ive been a fan of Macmost for many years. In my job I often want to do online demo and video pod cast. So I am interested to know a little about how you produce your show. What software do you use for screen capturing and integrating the video window of yourself? Does the ... (1 Comment)
9/18/10
I got an IM from a “friend” on FB suggesting I take a quiz. I did, and at the end it asked for my cell carrier and phone number to send me the results. I didn’t send in phone number and closed the site. It was bogus and NOT from my real friend. I reported it ... (1 Comment)
9/18/10
I just bought Call of Duty 4 for mac, and it requires me to have the disk in. This is impractical and I have tried using disk utility and it turned into a disk mount instead of a cd. The only fix for this that I have seen is Toast, but I cannot shell out the $79 for it. How ... (1 Comment)
9/18/10
Gary When I arrived home on Thursday and started my Macbook Air, Time Machine told me it had performed a verification of my Time Machine backups and needed to clear the backup history and create a completely new backup. It offered the choice of doing it ‘now or ... (1 Comment)
9/17/10
I currently have 233 applications installed on my MBP (I know, I’m an apphog). I am really at the point where having that number in one directory is unmanagable, but it seems like there are some disadvantages to using sub-folders for storing applications. What is your ... (1 Comment)
9/17/10
Hi Gary, I’ve set up my Mail with Gmail, but now have an additional company webpage which has it’s own mail which I need to sync as well to Mail. But I’m confused about how to, since it’s not one of the standard mail providers. I have to log in to my ... (2 Comments)
9/16/10
Hi, I want to basically jam with myself using PIP in imovie. Ive somewhat figured out how PIP works but what i cant figure out is how to listen to my recorded part 1 whilst filming part 2. Im using the inbuilt camera on the macbook. A friend told me that i have to export the ... (1 Comment)
9/16/10
In iMovie HD, is it possible to create a L and R audio to make the DVD play in stereo? I guess I would need to extract the audio and then create two duplicate audio tracks by coping the extracted one and pasting the new one into a new track. But is there a way to assign one ... (18 Comments)
9/16/10
Hello, i’ve got a problem since i got a macbook pro, and all other video sites streams but youtube streams just a one/quarter of the video, and it’s just only on safari, i tested on firefox,chrome and youtube streamed perfectly , and don’t forget, i disabled the ... (6 Comments)
9/16/10
After jailbreaking my iPad, I can no longer turn it off in spite of concurrently holding down the two buttons. I am afraid that if i restore it, i will not be able to jailbreak it again. Any suggestions? Gene — Gene ... (2 Comments)
9/16/10
hi I have a empty folder. But the size of the folder is 120 mb. How can I find what is in it.? Kindly help — Haresh ... (1 Comment)
9/15/10
After 14 months of heavy use on my MacBook Pro, I am in the market for a new battery. Any suggestion on where to buy wil be greatly appreciated. — Bill Lopes ... (1 Comment)
9/14/10
I recently decided to upgrade from my first mac which was a early 2008 white macbook 2.4Ghz, 2gb DDR2 ram, 250gb hard drive to a new 2010 13″ Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb DDR3 ram, 500gb hard drive and the new 320m integrated graphics with 256mb of vram. My question is if I ... (1 Comment)
9/14/10
I recall you did a podcast on this a while back, but now can’t find it . . . 64 bit kernal versus 64 bit processing, and whether it’s worth it to set Mac to 64 bit kernal. I didn’t do it besides I heard it might conflict with some software programs and drivers, ... (1 Comment)
9/13/10
I have attempted to create a smart playlist, say for all the podcasts about Disney, for example. I can’t seem to get it to work. I choose to creat a playlist based on “artist” but can’t figure it out. I subscribe to about 100 podcasts and want to avoid ... (4 Comments)