MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/8/10
I was in Safari when suddenly scroll wouldn’t work, then I got the beachball. None of the ways of bringing up force quite would work . . . holding shift command option escape for 5 seconds, going to the apple menu, option command escape, couldn’t bring up terminal to ... (14 Comments)
9/8/10
Windows computers have a utility called task scheduler which allows you to, for example, execute a workflow every time a certain program is run. Do you know of any way of setting up triggers to execute workflows or open applications or files? Or of any software that lets you do ... (2 Comments)
9/8/10
iphone 3GS with IOS4. Mac with 10.5.8 and itunes 10. Edited an existing note to add some more text. Clicked done and the new text vanished but the old text was still there. Tried it several times, same result each time. Any ideas? I smacks of a synchronization issue of some ... (2 Comments)
9/8/10
Hey Gary. I am a student. Because we still have Vacations, I turned my MacBook on, launched my Applications (Safari, Nambu, Skype) and then closed it to go Eating with my family. When I came home, I typed in my Password and nothing happend. So I shut him down via the Power ... (4 Comments)
9/8/10
Hi Gary, I was wondering if you were aware of the over-capacity issues and autofill functionality disappearing in the iTunes 10 upgrade? There is further discussions on the Apple forums here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2567845&tstart=0 Any news on a ... (6 Comments)
9/7/10
My bank can export in OFX, QIF, or CSV? Which format is the most widely used, and which is best? I don’t use personal finance software yet and it seems funny to choose a program based on format, but I don’t want my data tied up in a format with limited access in the ... (4 Comments)
9/7/10
Hi Gary, I have three calendars created from my iCal and one exchange calendar. These are all synced with my iPhone and iPad. They all work very well. The only problem is the colours: one of the iCal created calendars and the exchange calendar have come up with their own color ... (1 Comment)
9/7/10
Whats the nest way to record a call you make using Google’s new phone service? I presume it’s using Garageband and, if that’s the case, what are the best settings in GarageBand? A (sneaky) second question – is there any way to get notified of replies to ... (1 Comment)
9/6/10
Gary, I have a Mac Pro 1st generation with 6Gb of Ram. The problem that I am experiencing is that I have no sound while using Apple Programs such as QuickTime. Quick Time will play my MPG videos but there is no audio. If I play the same videos using the VLC player they play ... (5 Comments)
9/6/10
I was using iTunes on my Mac Pro for purchases etc, until I got the Mac Mini, which I now use for all purchases as the Mini is connected to my TV. I want to use the Mini as my ‘main’ media computer, so how can I transfer my entire Mac Pro iTunes library to my Mac ... (1 Comment)
9/6/10
Hello Gary, I know its easy to re-purpose movies to view on the iPhone, via iTunes. However, I just purchased a training DVD and it has lots of menu options which are easily selectable when viewing on a normal DVD player. But when I drag and drop the DVD into iTunes in the ... (1 Comment)
9/5/10
May have solved and you won’t believe how & what. A corrupt MOUSE! The other day I spilled water on my mouse and once it dried everything seemed ok. Don’t know why i ever decided to change the mouse. Perhaps The projects I HAVE to get done has driven me to try so ...
9/5/10
My pastor would like to use the IPad from the pulpit to show a Keynote slide show through the projector in the sound booth using a wireless connection. If it is possible, please list the hardware and software needed. Thanks Jeff Knouse — Jeff Knouse ... (7 Comments)
9/5/10
Reading and listening to all the rhetoric surrounding the new Apple TV, I’m a bit confused about any future the “old” ( 160 GB ) Apple TV might have. I have read that items ( movies, tv episodes, etc ) will no longer be available for direct purchase and storage ... (1 Comment)
9/4/10
iOS 4.2 is said to be including the ability to print from the iPad. Will that same ability also be included on the iPhone? Sure hope so, great feature… — George ... (1 Comment)
9/4/10
Does anyone know if it’s possible to copy a song that you have purchased or put in ITunes and then enter that mp3 in a email or a document.. Thanks in advance — Jeff Tucker ... (1 Comment)
9/4/10
For Example how do you, Gary, in every one of your videos, at the end put a video of you with a black background and it says “Macmost”. Plz help! — Paul Bitutsky ... (4 Comments)
9/4/10
Hi I love the Faces option in iPhoto but it doesnt pick up face tagging form facebook which aperture 3 does. In iPhoto, Faces shows only the pictures that I have tagged while aperture 3 picks up all the tagged pictures from facebook and displays them in Faces. Does iPhoto have ... (1 Comment)
9/4/10
Can anyone verify something I read a bit earlier today in that the latest version of iTunes has removed the option to purchase ringtones for the iPhone? I’m not yet upgrading to 10 as I like to see what, if any, kinks show up with early adapters. — forkboy1965 ... (3 Comments)
9/4/10
HI Is there a way to prevent macbook from going into sleep mode when lid is shut? I download large files and would like my macbook to keep downloading the files 24 hours a day but i hate leaving the lid open as dust accumulates on keyboard. Is there a way around this? I believe ... (3 Comments)