MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/1/10
I am a highschooler in a dorm, my desk is constantly cluttered with my ethernet, USB Connections(I use splitters), and cables connecting my LED Apple Cinema Display. Are there docks that allow one connection for charging and everything else so that unwiring and rewiring is no ... (2 Comments)
8/31/10
Just this past week, my iMac quit going to sleep along with the display. I checked the energy saver settings and they are the same as they have been (the default settings), I haven’t added any hardware or software, so what else should I check to fix this problem? It will ... (2 Comments)
8/31/10
I deleted growl from my computer. There’s still an alias left in the preferences folder in the Home Library. The problem is that I cannot delete that alias. The permissions are ‘unknown’ according to the Get Info window. I’m repairing permissions right ... (3 Comments)
8/31/10
how do i go about allowing cookies on msn messaging — glenn ... (3 Comments)
8/31/10
Gary, I tried your recommendation for a PDF editor that is posted on YouTube but the web site that you mention doesn’t seem to have the product that you recommend. It’s possible that I may have missed something. I have received a questionare from a church that is in ... (4 Comments)
8/30/10
So my 15″ MacBook Pro seems to be heating up quite a lot. The fans are usually running at 6000 rpms or more. It does not seem to be any processor intensive program like Aperture or something. How would you suggestion going about troubleshooting this? — Todd ... (3 Comments)
8/30/10
Hi Gary, I have a very strange problem with my iPhoto, which allways freezes on startup. My config ist: iMac 27″ i7 (December) OS 10.6.4. 8GB RAM, 2TB When Apple issued the iTunes 9.2.1 Update, I got troubles with it right after install, suddenly iTunes crashed. After ... (4 Comments)
8/30/10
How to i point from one sheet to another with formulas? — Wilma ... (1 Comment)
8/30/10
Hi Gary, I’m a bit confused about the notes app accounts on my iPhone. Before ios4 there was only one. Now there is two, From My Mac and MobileMe. I have typed in something and sometimes it goes to my Mail on my Mac and not sure which is the default. Also why can’t I ... (5 Comments)
8/30/10
Hello, Just recently purchased the Mini Display Port to VGA adapter and wanted tips in setting it up and using it with a Sony LCD with a VGA port. I have a Macbook Aluminum. Love the new iPad book. Picked it up on my Kindle. Thanks — Erick ... (6 Comments)
8/29/10
I tried to visit a website (that I’ve never visited before) and safari gave me a Warning. I clicked the “Go Back” button, so I suppose I don’t have anything to worry about, right? — T ... (1 Comment)
8/28/10
I just noticed that I have 5gb of my iPad being used up for apps. How do I figure out which apps are being the resource hogs? P — Todd Peperkorn ... (2 Comments)
8/28/10
Hello, I’ve used Windows most of my life, but was always open for other options. I’m considering to buy an iMac, and might have bought an iPad already if Apple would not have turned down Flash like they do. Gary, you live Flash as a matter of speaking: what are your ... (1 Comment)
8/28/10
Hi Gary, I’ve subscribed to and imported a calendar for a football side’s fixtures for the season. I get the alarm beeps on the day, but 15 mins before. I want to change the alarm timings to beep, say, 4 hours before. Is there a way to do it at one go for all the ... (1 Comment)
8/27/10
All your iMovie 09 tut videos on youtube feature your face in the bottom left corner (and that vide is tilted a bit). Did you MAKE those tuts with iMovie? I saw the Pic in Pic demo and it said the inset movie had to be in movie ratio and did not appear you could tilt it? — ... (1 Comment)
8/27/10
Hi Gary, I am still enjoy your podcasts and as a volunteer teacher in a non-English speaking country, I think it would be a great way to help my students if I could create short videos such as those you produce. I particularly like the personal touch of having your image included ... (1 Comment)
8/26/10
Hello, fairly new to Mac/Apple…. Is there software that enables me to work in Numbers/Pages on my iPad AND PC without converting to Adobe or other format? I usually create on iPad and transfer to PC for archive and/or use. I plan to change from PC to MAC but not for a while ... (1 Comment)
8/26/10
Gary, Is there a way to assign a ringtone to an entire group rather than having to manually select a ringtone for every contact in my address book? Third-party apps/scripts? Hence, people under Work would have one ringtone, Family another, Friends a different one, etc. I get that ... (2 Comments)
8/26/10
Dear Gary, I would be grateful if you could give me the step-by-step guide to set up a Service (available from all applications) that would give me the meaning of a highlighted word. I know this option is already there, but I would like to know how that has been done. Also could ... (4 Comments)
8/25/10
Hi Gary, I am a huge fan of mac most. I just purchased my first mac after almost 3 years of debate. I feel like a fish out of water. Some of the music that i have on my ipod classic i ripped from cd’s and other sources the others i purchased from itunes. What i need to know ... (1 Comment)