MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/25/10
Hi Gary, I am a huge fan of mac most. I just purchased my first mac after almost 3 years of debate. I feel like a fish out of water. Some of the music that i have on my ipod classic i ripped from cd’s and other sources the others i purchased from itunes. What i need to know ... (1 Comment)
8/25/10
Hi Gary, Is there a way of editing the default periods of time for the alarms in iCal and its equivalent calendars in iphone and ipad?? The earliest you could set an alarm or reminder for an event is 2 days, which is a bit short. Thanks in advance, Amir — Amir ... (1 Comment)
8/25/10
Gary, need your help urgently, I’m on a deadline to submit a short film for a festival which I shot in HD 1080 but which they want in DV PAL format AND less than 100 mB. I’ve used mpeg streamcip but the file is compressing to 229 MB, whether I choose 100% quality or ... (2 Comments)
8/25/10
The search with exclusions video was helpful but what I would like to know is how to do the same in Mail. For example how to search on a subject but limited to a single email address. Gary — Gary ... (1 Comment)
8/25/10
I have a SSD for the OS & Apps. It’s small so I’d like to have Safari and Firefox downloads go to the HDD. I changed it the Preferences for both browsers, but when I download software I didn’t get the window where I could just click and drag the ... (1 Comment)
8/25/10
I have an SSD for the OS & Apps. When I installed Final Cut Studio, the installer put the Final Cut Pro documents folder in ~/Documents. What is the Final Cut Pro documents folder for? I use an external HDD. Can I simply move the Final Cut Pro documents folder to my ... (3 Comments)
8/25/10
I have an SSD for the OS & Apps. When I installed Office 2008, the installer put the Microsoft User Data folder in ~/Documents. What is the Microsoft User Data folder for? Can I simply move it to my HDD where I keep all my data (documents, pics, etc)? Or do I need to tell ... (1 Comment)
8/25/10
I use 1 gmail id configured as IMAP on my iPhone & POP on Mail. When I archive a mail from my iPhone’s inbox it still gets downloaded (POPed) on my Mac, why? How to prevent the same mail again being downloaded on my Mac? In Gmail settings I have set “When ... (2 Comments)
8/24/10
The title pretty much says it. What brands/models should I be looking at to get good clean power for my home studio, in a UPS which will gracefully shut my system down if power is lost for an extended time? — Sumit Das ... (3 Comments)
8/23/10
Hi Gary, I have now got my 21.5″ iMac i3 But I have been trying the Mac Drop Box out & on Windows I can create, open & edit a txt file in the ~/Users/Hugh/Public/Drop Box, I thought I could only create not edit & open files in the Drop Box? Do I have the ... (1 Comment)
8/23/10
hi Gary i want to screen record what im doing on my mac with sound, tried to do it with quicktime but it doesnt record sound. I dont really want to do screen recording & use the sound recording at the same time and then use imovie to synch it all together and then export it. ... (10 Comments)
8/23/10
Gary, When will we get a iPad “Macmost” app for our iPad so we can get the full view? Thanks Gary and keep the episodes coming. May God Bless. Ed — Ed ... (2 Comments)
8/23/10
I added some photo’s of friends to my iPhone photos folder so I could use their pics in my contact list. I then did a sync on iTunes. I went to contacts, clicked on edit,clicked on add photo, clicked on choose photo, then chose photo library,where it showed 22 ... (3 Comments)
8/22/10
I notice in Gary’s videos a red-flash when he clicks the cursor. Does anyone know which tool he uses to accomplish this cursor animation? — craigc ... (1 Comment)
8/22/10
Hi, When I reply in mail (Version 4.3) I cannot see my signature on the mail reply When I send the mail reply the signature is missing???? — Phillip Howarth ... (1 Comment)
8/22/10
As of late ( just since the last OS update, I think ) when running a keynote presentation through projectors my dark slides appear too dark and print on the same becomes illegible . I have read lots of presumed workarounds addressing this problem on other forums, but, come on ! ... (2 Comments)
8/22/10
Hi all, I have a mov file that’s been encoded from FCP in pro res 422. Now I used Toast 10 to make a dvd out of it and I can swear that the quality isn’t that great when I play the dvd. Is there a way to match the richness and quality of the original file on the dvd? ... (1 Comment)
8/22/10
Hi Gary, I remember you doing a vodcast on how to open the “Get Info” menu option on multiple items into one window as opposed to getting info on 18 files and having individual get info windows all open. I want to know this as I am trying to do a batch change of ... (3 Comments)
8/20/10
I have an iPad running on a network with a Netgear router. I have noticed that since I got the iPad, the network is reassigning the IP addresses all the time, which is messing up a bunch of other things on our network (e.g. printers). Is this something the iPad might have ... (1 Comment)
8/20/10
My Mac Hard Drive is running out of storage space so I bought a 2T external hard drive. I transferred all my music to the new HD but iTunes can’t/won’t recognize the new location. iPhoto was a snap to relocate my photos so I figured iTunes would work the same way. ... (1 Comment)