MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/19/10
From my iPhone, iPad or even on the iMac Making an appointment from the address book seems unnecessarily cumbersome. What is the easiest way to make an appointment with a contact from the address book. My idea is that once you identify a contact down the bottom where it has Text ... (4 Comments)
8/19/10
Hi Gary, I have created a Pages document (with screen capture pics) that I want to add into another Pages document. I have tried to copy and paste but it does not copy the pictures. Any ideas? — Jason ... (2 Comments)
8/19/10
One of the options in Onyx is to delete the kernel cache. Why would you or wouldn’t you do this? — Bruce ... (1 Comment)
8/18/10
I live in a college dorm room using the public wifi of the building. Is there a way that I can set up my wireless printer (that uses the public wifi) so that it is password protected so that no one else can take advantage of my printer. — matt ... (1 Comment)
8/17/10
How do you change the color of clip art in Pages? I could do it in publisher and I can’t figure it out for Pages. — Bethany ... (1 Comment)
8/17/10
Hello Gary Is it possible to export a iphoto slideshow (along with the music, theme and Transitions) to a external drive or computer. i know its worth a try aravind — Aravindhan Donohoe ... (7 Comments)
8/17/10
I have been put on task to solve calendar syncing issue at office. All 4 of us use iphones but A uses air laptop exclusively, B uses PC/Outlook, C uses PC/Outlook at work but air laptop at home, D uses imac at work (Web Exchange). I can’t figure out what we should do to ... (4 Comments)
8/17/10
Recently, Blackberry has been in the news because corporate Blackberry’s security is so good that nobody can read emails sent and received by them. Does that mean emails sent or received by consumer Blackberries and iPhones aren’t secure and can be read? — ... (1 Comment)
8/17/10
LastPass versus 1Password, which is better? Sounds like they go about it in different ways. 1Password just started to support Windows whileLastPass has been doing so for awhile. Perhaps LastPass started on Windows first?? LastPass is $12 per year whereas 1Password can be ... (8 Comments)
8/16/10
Hi Gary, My 13 inch macbook’s battery life is aweful, it does not seem to hol power for even an hour of normal use. The full charge capacity is 3800 and cycle count in 305. Can you advice me what is the best way to preserve battery life and is it good to keep it plugged in ... (2 Comments)
8/16/10
Hi Gary, i have a unusual problem. We (Me and my wife ) have 2 iphones, but 1 itunes account, we have the same songs in the itunes but different applications, different contacts and different email and notes i am a power iphone user and my wife uses it for facebook, email and ... (2 Comments)
8/16/10
Dear Gary I’ve had some photos taken on a trip. When I got home and turned on my iMac, I connected my iPhone which immediately launched image capture. Then I told image capture to export the photos to iPhoto and delete the photos on my iPhone. iPhoto launched but nothing ... (2 Comments)
8/15/10
Is there a way to organize each of my four Spaces differently? I’d like to arrange my Desktop folders manually, say, grouped by topical clusters in Space 1, by personal priority-level clusters in Space 2, etc. I don’t find help in this regard in the System ... (1 Comment)
8/15/10
Help when i drag a mp3 into itunes it wont go in — George Hill ... (1 Comment)
8/15/10
I have several TV seasons for different TV shows that I have bought from the iTunes Store and downloaded to iTunes. When I try to watch them in Front Row it says “No Content Found” but when I try to watch them in iTunes it works fine. I have the cover art and ... (2 Comments)
8/15/10
On Mail, while typing out an address of a contact, the autofill sometimes fills up a contact I don’t have anything to do with now and would like to remove from autofill and indeed, the contact list. Any suggestions? — Parma ... (1 Comment)
8/15/10
Gary how important is it to have Perian installed on my mac for imovie and quicktime. — Richard ... (1 Comment)
8/14/10
I have a Motorola Q 9h Global mobile phone that runs windows. Is there a (free) way to sync to my Macbook Pro so I can download my photos taken with my phone ? I have found sites that charge money but just curious if there is a free service. — Billy ... (2 Comments)
8/14/10
Hello Gary, I just your podcast on Sleep vs Shut Down. Just wanted to clarify the numbers…If I leave my Macbook asleep for about 8-10 hours at night, in battery mode, morning time the battery is down from 100% to about 97%. So would you say that switching it off and on ... (1 Comment)
8/14/10
Hey Gary, Could you suggest a calendar app that will sit on my desktop, across all Spaces? I downloaded Pando Calendar but when I switch spaces to a new desktop, it disappears. I’ve disbaled my Ical widget to speed the machine up, so a low memory, simple, non fancy app ... (1 Comment)