MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/14/10
Hey Gary, Could you suggest a calendar app that will sit on my desktop, across all Spaces? I downloaded Pando Calendar but when I switch spaces to a new desktop, it disappears. I’ve disbaled my Ical widget to speed the machine up, so a low memory, simple, non fancy app ... (1 Comment)
8/13/10
There is a computer virus called ‘Wireshark Antivirus’ circulating on the internet for pcs. I was wondering if you have heard any reports of a mac getting the virus? The virus is simply a fake antivirus program that is trying to convince people to give out their ... (3 Comments)
8/13/10
You lazily import photos from your camera into iPhoto without really scrutinizing the photos too closely. iPhoto then arranges them by “Faces” or “Places”. Sometime later you start looking at the photos in “Faces” & decide that this photo ... (1 Comment)
8/13/10
Hi Gary, I’ve read a few posts on sharing the iPhoto Library between users on the same machine, including Apple’s support page. If I only need my wife to use the photos to download to her iPhone, is it good enough to simply move the iPhoto Library from my Pictures ... (1 Comment)
8/13/10
Recently, the Word Spell game seems to have had the touch response go south. Previously, you could zip through the letters. Now, on two iPhones I’ve been using, you have to press-and-hold in order to get the game to respond to the tap. This slows down game play ... (6 Comments)
8/13/10
Hi Gary, I’m going to buy the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 320GB Drive (link: http://tinyurl.com/2fxvttg ). But I have a question: When I install the new drive in my MacBook Pro (13″ – first model), how do I install OS X on there (fresh install)? After I turn on ... (2 Comments)
8/12/10
is there such a setting to allow you to right click on an address and have the drop down give you the option to add to a certain “group”? i know it ask to add to contacts – but then you have to go back in and drag/drop to group – where’s the time ... (1 Comment)
8/12/10
Hi all – I imported my Outlook Contacts file to Address Book. During the conversion, all 5,000+ contacts were given the seemingly arbitrary birthday of November 30. Is there some way to delete all the birthdays without having to edit each contact individually? I do not ... (1 Comment)
8/12/10
Had problems will Mail last week which I couldn’t fix so decided to reload OSX saving previous system to a folder on HD. The problem is that since then Iphoto will not launch – tried lots of ways. Even tried loading an older version of iphoto from a disk but this ... (2 Comments)
8/12/10
I have a 24 inch Apple LED Cinema Display that I use with my MBP, and my mother gave me her old dell moniter with a VGA output, how can I hook them both up with my MBP, so that I have both displays and my MBP Screen? — Will ... (3 Comments)
8/12/10
What to do about the recently introduced ‘unified’ thing in Contacts? At first I seem to miss some of the contactinfo to find out it is ‘hidden’ behind an ‘iPhone’ or ‘Unified’ tab at the bottom of my contactinfo. I want all my ... (1 Comment)
8/12/10
Ebay (or my 13″ MacBook Pro) keeps signing me out when I move between Ebay pages. At best it happens when I try to add an item to my watched list or delete something. At worst, it simply won’t let me sign-in at all. It doesn’t say my username or password are ... (2 Comments)
8/11/10
Hi Gary, I know that a Option + Shift + K gives you a . How do you type the logo for Command, Option, Shift, etc? Thanks! Jason — Jason ... (2 Comments)
8/11/10
Hi Gary, you always seem to know how do do all things mac, and I was wondering how I can download the US removed app, P.O.WM, otherwise known as People of Wal-Mart, if it is available in the UK, i want to download it. Thanks Gary! — Will ... (2 Comments)
8/11/10
According to my iStat Pro Widget my batteries health is at 44%, which is down from 46% from a few days ago. I haven’t noticed otherwise how quickly this has been happening, but it seems like a few weeks ago it was in the mid-nineties. How can I figure out why this is ... (1 Comment)
8/11/10
I just purchased an iMac 27 for the purpose of syncing to my MacBook. Can you provide tips on the best way to do this? Some folks have mentioned MobileMe, but I am keen on ChronoSync as I want to basically clone the two machines so that I can work on either one and have the ... (2 Comments)
8/10/10
Hi, So I’ve got some footage off a Canon 7D, in .mov containers with H264 encoding. I found out that non HDV/AVCHD files are a problem in that they require constant rendering. So I checked out a video and referring to it, I did the following:-) 1. Opened the mov files in ... (1 Comment)
8/9/10
I was just wondering, what are some advantages of using Front Row to watch videos or listen to music as opposed to simply using DVD or itunes? As of right now it seems like a rather pointless program to me. I have used it to watch a movie trailer, but that is about it. I ... (1 Comment)
8/9/10
Hi Gary, Thanks for replying to the previous posts. I have an ad I shot in HD 1080 format and I have to upload it to a competition, whose specifications are that it should ideally be an mov container with 300 MB file size limit, but suggesting I should aim for 30 MB per 60 ... (1 Comment)
8/9/10
I was looking at your iphone Ringtones on your website, and I was wondering if ringtones from itunes can be put on a phone other that the iphone. It would be nice to be able to create ringtones and manage them on the computer using itunes. I don’t have an iphone though. I ... (3 Comments)