MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/8/10
Hey Gary, I installed the latest Handbrake (64 bit). The only encoding options are h264 and mpeg4 for mp4 and mkv formats. No divx for avi. Since I watch a lot of avis on my tv, they’re preferable. Is there anything like Handbrake which also gives avi options? — D. ... (1 Comment)
8/7/10
I recently got an Iphone 4 and for the record, I love it and cannot “death grip” it, so to speak. Anyway, I know of cases that can extended your battery life? Thanks Gary! — John ... (1 Comment)
8/7/10
Hey Gary, I want to make a few websites with iweb and I need a domain name for my mobileme. Where should I go? Thanks! — Will ... (3 Comments)
8/7/10
Gary, I notice that many discuss mobile me and dropbox (both good sync programs) but I rarely hear anyone discuss windows live sync. When it is such a good sync program and without the limitations of dropbox’s free service, why not discuss it? — Michael Hatcher ... (5 Comments)
8/6/10
Hey I’m having 2 hiccups with creating smart folders: 1. I want a smart folder of all movie files, but not wmvs and couple of other formats…the selection criteria don’t allow for exclusion, only inclusion. So the folder lists all I want + too may ... (5 Comments)
8/6/10
How to create calendar application using iphone sdk or is there any way to call events on iphone calendar application i need sample code…. — IphoneFreak ... (1 Comment)
8/5/10
Hi Gary, I have two files in a directory. When I do Get Info (%I) on each of the two files, they both show “Device make” as “SONY”. When I then do Find (%F) on the directory, Spotlight comes up. I then select “Device make” and ... (1 Comment)
8/5/10
I want to migrate my itouch app save data and contacts, can I restore to my itouch on a new iphone? If so, how? — William ... (3 Comments)
8/5/10
I mostly use Gmail and my contacts are up to date on my iPad. But when I select a photo and tap to email it, the address book that is being used is the address book for the Mac Mail program. I have Gmail as my default account in Settings, and for the From on the email created, ... (3 Comments)
8/5/10
Has anyone noticed that they cannot check for updates for Onyx of late? For the past week or more whenever I start-up Onyx it states it cannot connect to Onyx for some reason. The Onyx site is online and running. I have access to the Internet. And I believe Onyx has updated ...
8/5/10
Why has Apple refrained from putting a real GPS Chip in The I devices instead of relying on a sketchy ATT service during my moutain hikes? — Jacob ... (2 Comments)
8/5/10
Hi Gary, love your site! I upgraded from an ipod nano 3gen to an itouch 2gen. The feature to use the ipod as a flashdrive is gone. How can I reenalbe this feature on my ipod touch? Thanks Gary! — William ... (3 Comments)
8/5/10
Hi Gary, I’ve been trying to create a table of contents using Pages. I select a piece of text, I apply a style to it, then I go to “Insert TOC”, and it tells me that it can’t create a TOC. Thanks in advance, Tommy — Tommy ... (4 Comments)
8/5/10
I am trying to share some large (16gb) video files with a Windows user, and I am having a terrible time finding a drive that we can share which will handle such file sizes. I have an NTFS formatted drive and MacFuse, but it won’t allow me to write to the drive or change ... (1 Comment)
8/5/10
Hey, can anyone recommend a free subtitling software for the Mac? — Chris ... (1 Comment)
8/5/10
This is my first iPhone (iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1) & I use gmail. 1) How to sync notes between Apple Mail & iPhone using bluetooth & internet? 2) How to syc to-do between Apple Mail & iPhone using usb, bluetooth & internet? 3) How to create lists (bullets) ... (4 Comments)
8/5/10
Hello Gary a friend of mine want to get one of those battery for the iphone, the one u connect it to the iphone and it charges it… but there are a lot of those around, and i don’t know which one is the best. can you please tell me which one is the best opition ... (1 Comment)
8/5/10
Hi Gary, I’ve made couple of short films for a competition, which I shot on HD 1080 format. The output after edit is in mov, with a size of 2.16 GB, but the competition rules say the files have ot be within 300 mB, with a preferred .m4v extension. Any way I can bring a 2.16 ... (2 Comments)
8/4/10
I saw my Iphone 4 rebooting itself today. It had been left alone for a while so it was locked. I just jailbroke Monday, anyone else see this happening? — Scoop ... (17 Comments)
8/4/10
I am trying to use vlookup in numbers but its not working i try to use lookup its work but vlookup and hlookup is not working but if i use excel its work and the number program more slower than excel when i use too much data. its take long time to proses and some times its ... (1 Comment)