MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/4/10
I am trying to use vlookup in numbers but its not working i try to use lookup its work but vlookup and hlookup is not working but if i use excel its work and the number program more slower than excel when i use too much data. its take long time to proses and some times its ... (1 Comment)
8/3/10
Hello Gary. i do use iphoto for printing some ooks or post cards since i came here to scotland. but one thing i am having an issue with them is that when i make 2 or 3 or more post cards in iphoto and try to buy them and for apple to print them and send it to me. i can’t ... (2 Comments)
8/2/10
I want to create two smart folders, but I want each to search specific but different locations on the drive. I know about the Privacy settings in Spotlight preferences, but that then applies to all smart folders. This seems to me like a common thing to want, so I’m ... (3 Comments)
8/2/10
In recent months I have been finishing ripping my CD collection into iTunes so that I can: (1) play music while working on my iMac, and (2) sync to my iPhone and Shuffle MP3 player. Naturally my music collection spreads out over many decades and as such there are plenty of CDs ... (1 Comment)
8/2/10
Gary, I would like to download various articles from the WSJ to read when I am not connected to wifi. Is this possible? Thanks, Larry — Larry Potter ... (1 Comment)
8/1/10
Hi, I noticed in the Ipod Touch for audio books and podcasts at the top for the quick buttons when you touch the screen and see the length of how far you are into the mp3 file it lets you hit a 30 second playback button and a button to change the rate at which the file is played ... (1 Comment)
8/1/10
Hi Gary! Do you know of an app for the iPhone that will add a “date last edited” automatically? Thanks! — George ... (1 Comment)
8/1/10
I am using a linksys router and cannot get Rowmote Pro to work. I followed the instructions on the site and still no luck. Gary, you never disappoint. Any tips? — William ... (4 Comments)
8/1/10
Hi Gary, I have just 3 widgets on my dashboard but when I start the dashboard, there’s always a lag before it ready.Is this due to 2gb RAM? Will upgrading to 4 gb make it load faster, say, even if I have Photoshop on? I have a Macbook 13. Thanks! Dhruv — Dhruv ... (1 Comment)
7/31/10
Hi! I am having an odd problem where I go to print some photos in iPhoto, and it says that until there are themes installed, it can’t do it. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks! — Todd ... (1 Comment)
7/31/10
Hi Gary, I recently got the AppleTV. The outer casing of the unit gets extremely hot even when I am not using it. My friend has the exact same issue. Have you heard of this before? Thanks, Pat — Pat ... (2 Comments)
7/31/10
Hi. I’m stumped. i have some old Camcorder footage on cassette tape which I recorded onto DVD/RW with a Technics DVD Recorder using the A/V connections. The DVD recording shows as a UDF file when loaded on my macbook pro. I was wondering if there was a way of importing this ... (4 Comments)
7/30/10
Hi Im going to build an iphone app and I wanted to know what i need to do it can you give me links or a program to help me learn html and java script and how to use the new iphone sdk Thanks, George Hill — George Hill ... (1 Comment)
7/30/10
Hi Gary, What procedure or software do you recommend for recovering a deleted iPhoto Library? Just recovering the photos that were in it would be fine. My machine has much more than twice the disk space than I’ve ever used, so there’s some chance that most if not all ... (2 Comments)
7/30/10
Whenever I copy files from my Mac to a Pendrive ou SD Card, I got this bunch of annoying copies of files with ._ prefix. Gary, is there any way to my mac stopping this behaviour or delete with automator ? Thanks, Roberto — Roberto Torao ... (2 Comments)
7/30/10
Gary, I’d like to be able to share my iTunes music with my kids so they can load their own iPods without logging into my computer account. I tried to follow the Apple Support instructions of moving the iTunes Media folder to the Public folder, but this didn’t seem to ... (1 Comment)
7/30/10
Hi Gary, What do you use to build and maintain your site? Thanks, Jason — jason ... (1 Comment)
7/30/10
Recently, I found my ipod touch 3G 32G plays music automatically aperiodically. Is it the problem of hardware or software? Can it be replaced by a new one? — Tenglong ... (4 Comments)
7/30/10
When I open an app it’s asking me if I would allow it to accept network connection, or something to that affect . . . and it warns me saying if I don’t I’ll lose some functionality. What functionality are the app’s talking about? Since I don’t know ... (2 Comments)
7/29/10
I know people buy Airport Expresses to expand their WiFi network at home or to stream music to another room in their house by connecting speakers to the Express. I got an old Express (g speed not n) lying around and wonder how I could put it to use. Could I plug it in an ... (1 Comment)