MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

7/29/10
Recomendations to convert a DVD to Ipad or how to import a DVD to iMovie? -Mauricio — Mauricio ... (1 Comment)
7/29/10
(two questions this week… I’m on a roll!) While sitting at my iMac I always boot up iTunes, put it in Shuffle mod,e and let it play music, often for hours on end. However, the other day I noticed something rather odd, or so I thought. There are a great number of ... (2 Comments)
7/28/10
I’ve read a number of pieces about how to work with iOS4’s quasi-multitasking abilities, but one thing leaves me a bit cold. Sometimes I simply want an app to close. Period. Or, when I have multiple apps “open” I’d like to shut them down en mass as ... (3 Comments)
7/28/10
When we watch a DVD on our home entertainment system, we can’t get on the Internet with our MacBook Pros. The network quits. When I turn off the DVD player, the network is again accessible by the computers. I can’t swear to it, but I think this is just a recent ... (1 Comment)
7/28/10
Hi Gary, I’d posted a query few weeks back about Preview not reproducing the colours properly whereas in Photoshop the colours looked fine. (http://macmost.com/forum-poor-colour-reproduction-in-preview.html) I’ve stumbled upon what the problem was, so in case others ... (1 Comment)
7/28/10
I have seven different calenders in ICal, six of which I would like to merge into one. Is there any way of doing this please? If not, can I export them all and then combine them? Thanks — Penny ... (1 Comment)
7/28/10
Hi Gary, I noticed in your podcast 429 (Automater) that you have the same black line in your mail when you attach a file. What is it? How do i get rid of it? I know you can use the style menu, but this is 3 steps too far. Furthermore, why is there no signature when you attach ... (1 Comment)
7/28/10
Sth wrong with safari 5? Its the browswer that i have been using all my life and well now with safari 5 when i try to use it at home….it works fine for a first couple of minutes and then after that it cuts off the internet and i have to restart the router to get the ... (2 Comments)
7/27/10
Hi Gary, where are iPhone backups stored? I have got multiple versions and want to clean things up. Initially, I didn’t click on encrypt, would iTunes convert a backup that wasn’t initially encrypted into an encrypted state? Thanks! — TM ... (1 Comment)
7/26/10
I started getting the following message when I turn on my Mac within the past few days. “Mail has disabled the following plug-ins: ... (3 Comments)
7/26/10
Ok; Question: I created some services using Automator (Podcast #429). I have gone to /Library/Services and deleted the ones that I don’t want anymore. However, when I go to System Preferences — Keyboard — Keyboard Shortcuts — and then click on the ... (4 Comments)
7/25/10
I have marmots weather app for my iPhone and want it on my iPad but, I cant find where or how. To install it — Romi Theodore ... (1 Comment)
7/25/10
I have the new 15″ MacBook Pro requiring the new Apple 85W power adapter, will Hyper battery work on my 15 MBP? Will their car charger work? If you have one, what do you think of their pricey batteries? I am thinking of getting either the 100Wh (1.6 lbs) or the 150Wh (2.4 ... (4 Comments)
7/25/10
How do I connect an ipod touch to my macbook pro using a computer to computer network and remain on wifi so that apps like remote work everywhere. — William ... (2 Comments)
7/24/10
Hi Gary, At my friend’s house they have a wireless network but it isn’t secured. When browsing the internet on a insecure network, is it good enough to Turn on the Built-in Firewall and set it to block all incoming connections and to have any type of sharing turned ... (9 Comments)
7/24/10
HI! I’m not sure how to word out my question, but here is the “scenario”: I have an Imac and a Macbook, both upgraded to Snow Leopard, Intel Core Duo. I’d like to be able to transfer files-photos-links over from one computer to the other remotely. So far I ... (2 Comments)
7/23/10
Hi gary, i used to right click snd attach or send a file by email easily using leopard, but i am finding it hard to create a plugin for snowleopard i know they have a services menu, but its away in the corner, can you advice me how to create a services menu where i can right ... (2 Comments)
7/23/10
When adding a domain in MobileMe iWeb will use that domain to set links and RSS feeds for it. When deleting that domain from MobileMe iWeb won’t get it and still publishes using that domain. The site itself is reachable via web.me.com/username/sitename, but the RSS feeds ... (1 Comment)
7/23/10
I just bought a new 1TB external hard disc. Please how can I format it so that both PC and Mac can read from it? Also, if I wanna use some part of it as my Time Machine back-up, how do I go about partitioning it? Is this a good idea? I have a MBP 13″ mid-2009. Any help ... (1 Comment)
7/22/10
The type in iCal is so tiny I can barely read it. Also, the type is the same color as the shaded area. I’ve had to change the colors to either ‘white’ or just barely a color. I’ve owned my Mac now for a whole 48 hours and this is the only program so far ... (3 Comments)