MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

7/22/10
Hey Gary. This is a small issue but one that bugs me. I have two iMacs, one 20″ and other 27″. Both have Snow Leopard and up to date. But on the 27″ when ever I place a audio or video file on desktop I do not get that “play button” inside the icon ... (2 Comments)
7/22/10
Hey Gary I just watched episode 423 and I totally forgot how great Seashore is. I heard about it in another podcast. I was wondering if it can be used to makes watermarks for Aperture? I suppose it can but I was wondering if you can explain in detail maybe on a future podcast:). ... (4 Comments)
7/22/10
Hi Gary, I bought Adobe CS4 as I want to learn to create websites on Dreamweaver, which is a great application. As you know I’m just an amateur and not a professional web designer or anything. Therefore I don’t need a whole lot of other stuff that came with it eg ... (1 Comment)
7/22/10
I bought a 13 inch Macbook, Unibody. I was told it’s an L.E.D screen but system profiler says it’s LCD. Which is it? — N.Jerah ... (1 Comment)
7/22/10
Great poll! I’ve heard so many people use gmail as their acct to expose to the world, then have it forward to their MobileMe acct, which they never give out. MobileMe seems to be in 2nd place despite the cost. Is it REALLY worth it? Yes, you get other things, too. But is ... (1 Comment)
7/22/10
I am trying to recolor some images so that they were grayscale instead of color, and I don’t want to go out of Pages to do this. Is there a way to do this in the program? — Todd ... (1 Comment)
7/22/10
Hi Gary, Is it possible to change the location of the 3 Imovie folders viz. Imovie Events, Imovie Original Movies and Imovie Projects? I have created a separate folder for all edit work and want to store it there, not my Movies folder. When I moved these to my new folder and ... (1 Comment)
7/21/10
i can no longer see youtube videos and most photos do not show up on the browser pages. what did I do? — bill keeney ... (5 Comments)
7/21/10
Help me when I plug my iphone 4 into itunes it will freeze and when I unplug it it goes back to normal. What should I do? — George ... (2 Comments)
7/21/10
I would like to be able to create a basic database on my macbook. What are some decent programs or applications similar to access for windows that I can use? Thanks — Bcpski ... (1 Comment)
7/21/10
Both ebay and paypal won’t let me onto their encrypted page. I can browse ebay, but can’t bid because I can’t get to the sign in page. It freezes on me, the same as paypal. I can’t even get to any pages at paypal. I dropped my cache and all cookies ... (2 Comments)
7/21/10
Hi For some reason some of my photos out of one upload have a little i in a white circle bottom right of photo and when I try to edit the photo turns black -it is a jpg file – do I need to reload photos or can this be fixed? — Wilma ... (1 Comment)
7/21/10
Everytime I try to download the new OS 4.0.1 to my iPhone 3Gs it downloads approx 20MB and then gives an error message and stops. — Jaco ... (1 Comment)
7/20/10
My cousin’s purpose for wanting Office for Mac is so he can view and do a little editing of Excel files created on Windows Office — change data in cells and maybe tweak a formula. I told him about Open Office by Sun, and he said it wouldn’t read Excel files ... (1 Comment)
7/20/10
My cousin wants me to make him a copy of Office 2008 for Mac. I told him I am using all 3 licenses that came with Home Edition. He’s not interested in any of my licenses keys. First, is this legal for me to make him a copy of the CD? How do I make it, as I don’t ... (2 Comments)
7/20/10
Gary, I currently want to get the base Mackbook with just upgrading the ram to 4GB and the hard drive to 500GB. Money is a factor. Portability is key to me (13″ is perfect). The price out the door is about $1325 (still lower then the base entry Macbook Pro). I just ... (1 Comment)
7/19/10
When I open an excel document on my computer, previous excel documents open as well. I have several document open at once and when I begin to close the documents I do not need, the entire excel program closes. I can minimize each document and work on the one I need. How can I ... (1 Comment)
7/19/10
Hey Gary, quick basic question, My vendor says my Macbook 13″ Unibody, Snow Leopard has 64 bit OS, The system diagnostics, Software tab says this, however ’64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No’ So is my OS 64 bit or not? Should I stick to VLC player 32 bit or get ... (1 Comment)
7/19/10
Gary, Would you know if Time Machine and/or SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner will back up an encrypted sparse disk image that is sitting on an external drive connected to my Mac? Thanks! — Michelle ... (2 Comments)
7/18/10
I am running mac os X version 10.3.5 and I find that mail will download not all my mail and will not send from any of my mailboxes. I have set up mail with my googlemail account my mobileme account and my yahoo accounts. all are set up as stp and I have set them up according to ... (3 Comments)