MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

7/13/10
I have taken pictures of a book and I want to crop them. It would be nice to set a custom box and not to have to resize every image. — Jan Hutchison ... (5 Comments)
7/13/10
My iPhone crashed during a recent OS upgrade. I have managed to restore all my apps but have lost all of the data associated with these apps. iTunes seems to keep only one backup and presumably “overwrites” previous ones. Is there any way of recovering older backups ... (8 Comments)
7/13/10
Hi Gary, is there any application that I can use to check what items are occupying most of my hard drive space? Thanks — Carlos M ... (1 Comment)
7/13/10
I just got an iphone 2 weeks ago, n I don’t like the ring tone of new text message in the iphone, is it possible I can add the ring alert or copy the sound text message alert from my old phone? If you can, how to do it? could you give me guide or instruction for it. thank ... (3 Comments)
7/13/10
I just received an e-mail ad for “Spring Cleaning.” I am wondering if this is a sound investment, or if OSX has the same abilities built in? Any advice would be great. — Joe ... (2 Comments)
7/12/10
There is talk that the new Office for Mac will arrive this year. Apparently Entourage will be replaced by a version of Outlook for Mac. If so will it easily and painlessly import all my old Hotmail emails into Mail?? Amir — Amir ... (2 Comments)
7/12/10
I want to avoid opening the iphoto app every time i hook up my iphone to the mac. I have done some research and apparently you can do this from image capture preferences. The problem is when I go to image capture app, it does not have preferences. It has service preferences which ... (2 Comments)
7/12/10
Hi Gary, I’m loving my iphone 4 which is fast and zippy. Before it I had an iphone 3G and didn’t upgrade to the 3GS. By the time I upgraded it had really slowed down and become sluggish and laggy. My question is this: what is the actual mechanism of an iphone slowing ... (1 Comment)
7/12/10
I want to create some room on my hard drive. One way I thought of doing this is to transfer itunes from my mac’s HD to an external drive. I have seen your helpful video on this already. My question is this: is it possible to have an itunes on the mac for iphone syncing and ... (1 Comment)
7/12/10
I create a new to do in iCal or in Mail, thinking that it would automatically sync with my MobileMe or iphone but for some reason it doesn’t. Is there anything I need to do or set up to be able to do this? — Amir ... (3 Comments)
7/12/10
Hi Gary, Any jpegs I create in Adobe Photoshop look fine while viewed within it, but when viewed through Preview, the blacks become gray and overall the image looks duller, making it impossible to judge the photo….and I’d rather not put my RAM through more Photoshop ... (4 Comments)
7/12/10
To Gary and co., Does anyone know if it is possible to crop a movie the same way that you’d crop a photograph like you’d do in iPhoto or Photoshop? Preferably, in iMovie 09. Thanks, Andre — Andre ... (2 Comments)
7/12/10
Hi Gary, I have an .mvi file that needs to be rotated. I can’t find the editing options that are available to photos. Is it possible to do this and not have to tilt my head sideways to view the movie? I have this on my MacBook Pro. Thanks, Janet — Janet White ... (1 Comment)
7/12/10
Hi Gary I am new to apple one year ago this month I started with the iPhone 3GS and was really impressed how seamlessly things worked on it,so in November when the new 21″ iMacs came out I bought one and switched from a pc to a Mac and again I was impressed. Then the iPad ... (1 Comment)
7/12/10
Hello Gary. i am having a major problem with safari 5, and i can’t find a way to solve it. when i go to any website with video streaming like youtube and so on, non of those video do work. they do work once when i reset safari. but i can’t do that all the time, as it ... (3 Comments)
7/11/10
I used the new ipad gadget that allows you to download from your camera’s sd card directly onto the ipad but now I’d like to get those pics onto my mac so I can share them. Anyone know how that works? Is there an export from ipad to mac?? — Deena Dietrich ... (1 Comment)
7/11/10
Hey Gary, Well done on your podcast and things! I know a little bit of web-programming like php and similar, but I am completely lost when it comes to iPhone programming. I was wondering if you could do a podcast telling us how and what to do read / study to become a iphone ... (1 Comment)
7/10/10
Hi Gary, My “Set date & time automatically” in the Preferences doesn’t work at all. I tried different severs but the problem still couldn’t be solved. My system is Leopard. Any suggestions? Thank you very much! :) — Neo ... (1 Comment)
7/10/10
I’m editing a football highlight video and I want to add in a special character like an arrow to show a certain player on the field. How do I do that? thanks — Bill Parker ... (5 Comments)
7/9/10
Hi Gary, I have been using a digital camera to record some event footage for a friend of mine but I want start using my camcorder since I want to record it in HD and using my digital camera for this isn’t the best option for me due to its battery & charging ... (1 Comment)