MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

7/9/10
Hi Gary, for a few days now my trash icon sounds haven’t been working and I can’t figure out why. I have looked around websites to find a solution but none fixed my problem. I have looked in the sound options in the system preferences and everything is fine over there ... (2 Comments)
7/9/10
There doesn’t seem to be an Automator action for Emptying Trash. Is there a way to execute this action through other actions? Also, thought the macmost podcast on Automator is helpful, is there any site which really exhaustively deals with automator and why it’s so ... (5 Comments)
7/8/10
Hi, I have 2 dropbox accounts (work & personal) do you know if and how can I use those 2 dropbox accounts on my computer at the same time? thanks — Erez ... (1 Comment)
7/8/10
Hi Gary, First of all, thanks for replying to so many posts so fast! We all appreciate that! I need to make a script that will take a highlighted string and transform it by removing spaces and punctuation, and converting the first letters to capitals.For example: This is a long, ... (1 Comment)
7/8/10
I don’t know what went wrong but after I downloaded LittleSnitch I constantly get a pop up on my mac asking me which connection I want to make. How can a change this to the default settings? for example, if I want to connect to Limewire, i get the following PopUp: Limewire ... (1 Comment)
7/8/10
Hey guys, I really dislike the google recent searches prompt that pops up on my safari toolbar for google search; is there a way to either disable the recent searches or even perhaps to automate it to clear at user-defined intervals without prompting? — Pran ... (2 Comments)
7/7/10
Hello! I just switched servers and everything seems to (finally) be working again, except one thing: I can’t see my Sent mail box on my i-Phone (3GS). I’ve set up the new e-mail account and can at last send and receive mail but cannot for the life of me figure out ... (1 Comment)
7/7/10
Pardon my ignorance but in Windows sometimes the old program had to be deleted and sometimes the new version would overwrite the old. I’m talking about 3rd party add ons. What’s the right way to upgrade Mac OSX 3rd party apps? Delete the old first? Or do both versions ... (1 Comment)
7/7/10
Hi Gary , I want to ask you about the airport express. I’ve got a time capsule and my room is very far from stand between my room and the time capsule there are many walls. So the Internet signal isn’t strong.I was wandering if I could put a device like the airport ... (1 Comment)
7/7/10
In guarding against online fraud, we are cautioned to look for HTTPS and padlocks, indicators of secure sites. How do we know that the bad guys can’t arrange for those indicators to be displayed, thus defeating the whole intent? In other words, I need a brief explanation ... (1 Comment)
7/7/10
Hi all, I’ve seen a fall in my 2gb RAM’s performance recently and I notice it almost always has a swollen amount of inactive memory….is there any way to free up the inactive memory to convert it to free memory? — Lin Willia ... (1 Comment)
7/7/10
Hey Gary I went on a family vacation this Fourth of July and tried out the iMovie app and was pleased. However, when I got home and pulled it off my iPhone (I exported as 720 HD) and dragged into iTunes and tried to sync to the Apple TV I got a warning that Apple TV could not ... (6 Comments)
7/6/10
Hey Gary, I have a 320GB external Seagate HDD, which has 3 partitions. I want to retain one partition, which has important stuff, but erase the other two and merge them into one partition. Is it possible without formatting the whole drive? — Dhruv ... (1 Comment)
7/5/10
Hey is there any 12 volt adapter for an iphone to play the music off it from the cars speakers Thanks — George Hill ... (1 Comment)
7/5/10
My house is not wired for Ethernet, and the only phone (DSL) connection is upstairs, but most of my computing occurs downstairs. So right now, I do all of my networking over WiFi with a D-Link VWR 802.11g router required for my Vonage VOIP phone line. I occasionally need a Wired ... (3 Comments)
7/5/10
Hi Gary, I’ve been trying to find a way that when I drag or save a file onto my desktop that it will take the next available place on the grip but it always takes a lower place on the desktop grid because I had some files there before, is there a way to permanently make it ... (1 Comment)
7/5/10
Does anyone remember the company that Gary advertised on Macmost Now for transporting an iMac, I am almost positive it was his show that I saw it on. When I do a goole search, I am not getting the link I am looking for. Thanks. — wshaneh ... (1 Comment)
7/5/10
Hi Gary, How does one view a previously viewed webpage in Safari when the internet connection is off? It was possible in i-explorer and firefox but there doesn’t seem to be any “Work Offline” mode here. thanks — Dhruv ... (1 Comment)
7/4/10
Hi Gary, I have a Mac Pro with one of the bays used for TM. If my MBP is on the same network as the MP, can I set it up for TM backups? BTW, I am using FileVault on the MBP. I’d also like to clone the contents of my MBP using one of the HDD partitions on the MP. I have ... (7 Comments)
7/4/10
Hi Gary I just purchased the iPhone 4 and I upgraded my iPhone 3GS with ios4 when I activate the iPhone 4 my 3GS becomes an iPod so I was wondering if you knew of a web site that can give me step by step instruction on how to jailbreak and unlock my 3GS with the ios4 installed ... (2 Comments)