MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

9/30/10
Hey Gary, I was wondering. I feel that I use my mac pretty safely. I don’t go to suspicious sites, I buy legal copies of my software, and I try never to click links in my mail. But is this enough? How safe are macs? Should I get the little program like Little Snitch? I ... (1 Comment)
9/30/10
When I set up a mail account and enter the password, I get the dots to cover the letters. However, when I save the changes and return to the password field, it is blank. I have learned, if this field is blank, the mail program asks for my password for ever action. I cannot ... (1 Comment)
9/30/10
If I start to update iPad apps, can I do anything else while they are updating, like play a game or read email? — Shirl Parker ... (1 Comment)
9/30/10
I am trying to make a presentation handout, and for the life of me I cannot find where I have the option on having the paper setup in portrait or landscape mode. Am I crazy here? Surely one can make the presentation print in portrait mode. — Todd Peperkorn ... (2 Comments)
9/30/10
Hello Everyone, Recently I’ve purchased a stunning gadget released by Apple which is iPhone 4 but I don’t want to go with AT&T contract and would like to dis-continue with that. Is it possible? If yes, then What should i do? Please guide me. Thanks in ... (1 Comment)
9/29/10
I have a bunch of .264 files from the school that do not run on my mac, I need to convert them, what software do you recomened? I love your tips, they help with everything that apple wont tell you. Thanks! — Will Galloway ... (1 Comment)
9/29/10
i have hotmail set as my email acct, and emails are automatically downloaded into imail. 2 Problems: 1) very often, i’m asked for my hotmail password even though i entered it several times before and added it to the keychain; and 2) i get error symbols (!) in imail saying ... (4 Comments)
9/29/10
Hey Gary I’ve just noticed a chip on the front lid casing is there anything I can do to fix it? It’s the aluminum MBP and I’ve only had it for a few months — Justin ... (1 Comment)
9/29/10
Gary I noticed that on some of your videos that you blur out text. I understand why you do it, just wondering how you do it? — Michael ... (1 Comment)
9/28/10
I’m recording instructional material that I will later put to DVD and sell. I want quality recording and I’m using a Canon GL2. I’m not worried about the quality of capturing the video, but I am worried about the settings on iMovie and iDVD. I’m just ... (23 Comments)
9/27/10
I’d like to lecture to my large classroom using a mic attached to my MAC and the speaker system in the lecture hall. I do not want to record it ahead of time, but I don’t care if I record the entire 75min of lecture in addition to broadcasting it live. I see several ... (2 Comments)
9/27/10
How can I get a new GMail account to import all my contacts that I have in iCal or get iCal to export to GMail? Thanks. — Phil ... (5 Comments)
9/27/10
Hello Gary. I did it, i am now trying Mobileme and i do like it so far. But i have one problem with it. When i signed up for Mobile me i had the idea that all my email accounts (gmail) will be able to use the push service on my iphone, but it looks like its only for my mobileme ... (3 Comments)
9/26/10
Hello all. Love the site… I know about Automator but was wondering if there is an application that I can create custom scripts and commands. What I am trying to accomplish is: I have a USB drive connected to my Linksys N Router where I keep my music. THe USB drive goes to ... (4 Comments)
9/26/10
Hi, I just got a new iPhone, and I’m wondering if theres any way to sync the music and podcasts from my iMac at home onto my iPhone, so as to no have to download it all again? thanks! — jordan ... (6 Comments)
9/26/10
I have iTunes 10. And I have 2 music-librares sources. My small internal 120GB SSD and my huge External harddrive. How do I create multiply libraries? I mean, I want a submenu when clicking on “Music” in the iTunes sidebar where I can choose my libraries. But that ... (1 Comment)
9/24/10
I was recently using my iMac when it froze up, out of the blue. The system was not responsive and without giving it a second thought, I had to force shut it down by pressing and holding the power key. Much to my surprise, when I turned it back on, there was a blinking Finder ... (6 Comments)
9/24/10
I’ve read recently that the Macbook Pro has issues with wifi signal, surmised to be caused by the aluminum case blocking the signal, or possibly due to faulty internal antennas. My 13″ Macbook desperately needs replacing (it owes me nothing, has been a workhorse for 4 ... (4 Comments)
9/24/10
What happens when Pages can’t find MS Word fonts while opening a doc file? Does it ignore the text or reproduce it in some other font? — Emily C. ... (1 Comment)
9/23/10
hi, I’m new to the ‘Mac World’. just one quick question, i use my macbook pro most of the time either at home or office plug in to the power supply, will this shorten the life span of the battery? Do i have to ‘drain’ the battery before plugging ... (1 Comment)