MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

5/15/10
I’ve seen an “iTunes Server” mentioned on a few NAS devices. Can you give us the low down on what it is and what it does? — Todd ... (2 Comments)
5/15/10
Hi Gary, Thanks for the great podcasts and all the wonderful tips. I love the movie trailers on iTunes, but there are two things I can’t figure out how to do: 1. Find old ones. After they fall off the display of the 30 they show, there doesn’t seem to be a way to find ... (2 Comments)
5/14/10
Why is the new macbook pro is cheaper than the old one yet better than the old ones. — Ariff ... (1 Comment)
5/14/10
I am thinking about getting an ipad to do some html coding while away from my desktop. I fully expect it not to come with the text edit (notes excluded)or could notes work for this? If not, does anyone know what the BEST text editor app for this kind of work is and that you ... (3 Comments)
5/14/10
When I download podcasts and play them on my iPhone I have the really neat feature to play at twice or four times the speed and to jump back 30 seconds. When I create my own podcast in garageband and move it to my iPhone via iTunes, I don’t have these neat features. My ... (1 Comment)
5/14/10
I just finished using the migration assistant from my wife’s macbook to my new imac. I can see that all the data made it over because of the size of the hard drive and the new user has been added in the finder under Mac HD/Users. Everything but the burn folder, public, and ... (5 Comments)
5/14/10
Gary, could you “think out loud” regarding how much memory one should consider getting on an iPad? I suspect maxing it out usually makes the best sense, but I have a temporary cash-flow problem. Thanks. — John Russell ... (1 Comment)
5/14/10
After exporting my movies and viewing them on both quicktime apps. The playback will stop about 4 seconds into the movie, than I would have to hit play again than movie will continue to play. I even spoke with Apple tecs and they did not have any solutions. Gary you have any ... (2 Comments)
5/13/10
Hi Gary, I have an issue with home sharing. I have activated home sharing with the same accoun on my mac and a PC running Windows XP. I can see the mac music library on the PC and stream it, but I cannot copy the files to the PC library (so it is like file sharing, not like home ... (1 Comment)
5/13/10
I have a bunch of old wpd (WordPerfect) files in an ooooollllld directory that I’d like to convert to doc files, or at least open. Is there a way to do this through Word on the mac? Thanks — George ... (1 Comment)
5/13/10
I bought macbook pro in Jan 2010. It was booting up very fast. but it takes longer time to boot. Please advice on how to improve on this. Thanks — Vikas ... (1 Comment)
5/12/10
I have been considering setting up a non-administrative account as a simple security measure and the notion is now more on-my-mind thanks to the recent notice of a specific problem with Safari. That said, I do not wish to have to recreate all my settings, preferences, etc. in the ... (2 Comments)
5/12/10
hi gary is there a way to download a movie on the ipad then connect it to the larger imac screen ahd view the movie on the larger screen — paulie3660 ... (4 Comments)
5/11/10
Gary, I am using a Mac Pro 1st generation with OS 10.5.8. I almost always use finder in the list view. I don’t know what happened but my list order has reversed itself on it’s own and I can’t seem to change it back to the way I had it. The “arrange ... (3 Comments)
5/11/10
Hi Gary, My Olympus digital voice recorder creates WMA files which I used to play back using QuickTime 7 at faster or slower speeds, through the intermediary program Flip4Mac. I still use QuickTime 7 but Flip4Mac has since changed. It now takes quite a while for a file to ... (1 Comment)
5/11/10
I have a 1TB Time Machine which acts as a router and ONLY one of my four Mac’s back up on this machine. Recently it started blinking with a yellow light, so I though that there was a problem, and when I checked – it said that the drive was getting full. My settings ... (1 Comment)
5/10/10
Can you have seperate accounts under one email address/apple ID? We are a family of 4 with only one email address. When I try to set up accounts for my children I am denied because the email address is already in use. — eileen ... (1 Comment)
5/10/10
Hey Gary, I’m trying to organize my parents old photo’s and I was wondering if you could put folders inside a Event in iPhoto so I could separate certain photo’s and organize them by holiday’s, moths, years etc. Thanks for your help — Justin ... (3 Comments)
5/10/10
Dear Gary, If I have physically a CD and import it into iTunes (MP3 or AAC format), can I get rid of the CD forever? Am I legally allowed to listen to the music if I don’t have the physical CD anymore? How the license for these musics works? — Fernando Shayani ... (4 Comments)
5/10/10
Brother and I each have a Mac. Mine is a PowerMac G5, his is a newer iMac. We share an Internet connection through a hardware switch. He has Dreamweaver and Photoshop installed on his iMac. Beyond file sharing, is there a facility that allows me to use the Dreamweaver and ... (3 Comments)