MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

5/21/10
Is there a way or a tool that will take data on a PDF that’s in a row/column format and copy that into a Spreadsheet and put the data into each cell? Thanks, — Nash ... (4 Comments)
5/21/10
I bought an Apple camera connection kit so that i could directly load photos and video from my digital camera to my iPad while on vacation. Photos load onto the iPad soon after I insert the SD card with the card connector into the iPad. No problem with the photos. But the video ... (3 Comments)
5/20/10
I want to buy a new HD Canon Camera to work with Final cut Express 4. I’ve been warned by the shop that I will not be able to open my files in a Mac cause I need extra software to make it compatible. they it works fine with Windows bu not with Macs. Is this true? What ... (1 Comment)
5/20/10
I have got a MacBook and will buy an iMac. For this reason I would like to transfer some data and software from one to the other MAC without transferring everything. How can I do this the easiest way? That means how can I f.e. transfer all the mailcontent, rules, folders etc., ... (2 Comments)
5/19/10
Do you have to have matched pairs (1GB x 2 or 2GB x 2) in the Macbook laptops or is it possible to have 1GB x 1 and 2GB x 1 ? I upgraded my other laptop to 6GB (4GB x 1 and 2GB x 1) and it works fine…. Thanks, — Nash ... (1 Comment)
5/19/10
hey gary, i was just wondering if my macbook is slowing down. the reason is when i try to open up a folder it takes atleast 3 seconds to open a folder. i’m just wondering because i have 78.40 GB left. does the age affect how slowly it goes. i bought it from some1 that had ... (1 Comment)
5/19/10
I am trying to organize a series of overlapping rehearsals for a performance group. We have five different shows with different rehearsal schedules. I would like to have all of these rehearsal schedules be able to show up in one calendar. Is there any way of creating a ... (1 Comment)
5/19/10
Your advice seems to be always on the mark. I would be interested knowing what your favorite email is. I use Gmail primarily, but like MobileMe mail beta a lot so far, and I see Hotmail is coming out with a summer update as well. Just wondering. Thanks! — George ... (5 Comments)
5/19/10
I have been looking into getting a mac for college. It will be my first mac. I realize that I will most likely still need to use Windows for certain tasks. Is there a way to install Windows on an external hard drive then boot up Windows from the external hard drive. I am afraid ... (8 Comments)
5/18/10
Hi Gary, I am thinking of developing a site (part-time) for a former employer and was wanting to use iWeb. Do you have any history with using it and what is your opinion of it? What do you use for Macmost.com? Thanks. Jason — Jason ... (3 Comments)
5/18/10
Is there a way to search the MacMost video podcast files for tips on iPhoto? — George ... (1 Comment)
5/18/10
I use a flash drive to play music in my car and I copy the music from my MacBook. I have noticed that my flash drive (pen drive) or my player reads the hidden files my MacBook creates on the flash drive and along with that it also creates some dummy files. One can also view them ... (2 Comments)
5/18/10
I have not been able to receive any podcasts from MacMost for about the last 5 weeks or so. I have unsubscribed and resubscribed a couple of times – but I get an error whenever I try to download an episode. BTW, all episode list with a length of 0:00 in the iTunes store ... (4 Comments)
5/18/10
I was one of the unfortunates who bought a Sony CamCorder that recorded to tape using MMV. Is there anyway to get these MMV native video files into iMovie or anything MAC? Many thanks! — Garfield Fisher ... (1 Comment)
5/17/10
As far as I can tell from searching forums similar to this one, my iPhone has a malady with a unique combination of symptoms. Early today, my iPhone screen went all white and the iPhone became unresponsive. I tried the usual set of fixes, such as holding power+home and toggling ... (6 Comments)
5/17/10
Hi Gary, I have added my flash drive to the Spotlight Privacy list but keeps on disappearing from the list. How can I keep it there. Thank you. — Ken ... (7 Comments)
5/17/10
Gary, An acquaintance took his Macbook on a business trip and used it to send some email via public WiFi in his hotel. Afterwards he had many problems with his computer (I don’t know the details) and people in his AddressBook started getting junk mail. I can attest to the ... (5 Comments)
5/16/10
whats the best anti-virus for tiger? iAntiVirus is for leopard. do you know and “downloadable” anti-virus software? — John Belarmino ... (1 Comment)
5/16/10
I do a simple podcast and I would like to work on automating the workflow. Is there any good way to easily convert an .aiff file into .mp3 using either Launchbar or Hazel or something else? I’d like to be able to drop the file into a folder and have it pop out as an ... (3 Comments)
5/15/10
Anyone know why ichat doesn’t provide a search function to locate friends like Skype? I’d like to try to use ichat but it seems you can only talk to friends that have either an AIM or MAC account. What’s with that? Most of my friends have PC’s, not ... (3 Comments)