MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

4/19/10
I have some photos in my photo library iPhone (not a 3G) that I would like to delete. These photos, I guess, were deleted from the iPhoto library. The option to sync photos in iTunes is not showing for my iPhone. Similarly, in iPhoto there are no photos listed that I can ... (2 Comments)
4/19/10
I am trying to permanently delete all information on my Apple Time capsule. If I press the reset button on the back of the unit will it permanently delete all the previous back-ups? — Randolph ... (3 Comments)
4/19/10
I am handing down my computer to a co-worker and I have “pay grade” sensitive files and emails I need to remove, and save to a new computer before I hand over the old computer. I also want to make sure files(emails) are permanently deleted as the co-worker is in the ... (5 Comments)
4/19/10
My computer just shut down as I had no battery power left. When I restarted, Itunes (that had been running) produced an error message, something like “your itunes library does not seem to be a proper itunes library, itunes created a backup library ituneslibrary (damaged) ... (5 Comments)
4/19/10
Does anyone have a useful/workable way to find duplicate files on your Mac hard drive? — Wellington ... (6 Comments)
4/18/10
Hi Gary, Previously when I first installed the newest FC studio I was able to run through and work on some projects and tutorials in motion (all of this after I had already upgraded to Snow Leopard). But now, for the past week, I try and open Motion and the welcome screen comes ... (9 Comments)
4/18/10
I have a non unibody 2008 2.5 Gig Macbook pro 15 “”. I would like to connect it to Hannspree 237 monitor using it HDMI instead of VGA . 1n 1080p the monitor’s colors are way off. I have tried the tricks I know and still can not seam to get it right. Please ... (3 Comments)
4/18/10
I know this has to be a common question, but I can never find a definitive answer. I have both an iMac and a Macbook Pro. The iMac gets all the use when I’m at home, and the MBP when I travel (frequently). I’m subscribed to about 20 video podcasts, and downloading the ... (1 Comment)
4/18/10
I am selling a MacBook and the client has asked me to help them migrate all of their XP data (Outlook, iTunes, photos, etc.) to their new computer. What is the best way to go about doing that? — Todd ... (2 Comments)
4/18/10
Wondering if there is a way I can convert a .vcs calendar file from my on-line work scheduling software to an .ics format that I can import into iCal. A search through the web has not been very productive. Hopefully someone here can help. — Bill F ... (5 Comments)
4/17/10
I can export iPhoto books and slideshows to the desktop, and even can convert to MP4 for the iPod, but I can’t get out the prepackaged music track off, so that I can add my own choice of background music before I burn it to DVD. The audio that comes with the exports ... (2 Comments)
4/17/10
Gary, I recently heard someone mention that they use alias within their Dropbox folder that point to other folders. This allows them to use Dropbox to back up their files in the cloud without always uses Dropbox itself to replace their documents folder. Hope I explained it right. ... (1 Comment)
4/16/10
For several years I have owned a Palm Trio 750 smartphone (that isn’t so very smart) with Windows 6 Mobile on it. I used it with a Windows XP computer and was able to sync it easily but I have switched to a MacPro computer with OS 10.5.8 on it and Windows does not make sync ... (1 Comment)
4/16/10
I have a group in AddressBook that I’m trying to give to someone with Outlook (probably ’03, although maybe ’07). I exported it as a vCard, and now they can only import the first record. Any suggestions? — Todd ... (1 Comment)
4/16/10
I need an external Wi Fi booster antenna for my MacBook Pro that will help pick up signals in hotels and marinas. Any suggestions? — Ted Smith ... (1 Comment)
4/16/10
Hi, Gary is their anyway to disable keychains or is it suppose to interact with Safari autofill. What is the good and bad to disable if possible? I have 27″ Imac with OS 10.6.3 etc… — Imacer99 ... (1 Comment)
4/15/10
Hi Gary, I want to start using Time machine and I have an external 500gb hard drive. On that hard drive I have about 1/2 already used up and would like to use about 150gb of that free space for time machine. Is there a way to set that up without deleting all the content I have on ... (1 Comment)
4/15/10
Hi gary, I recently upgraded from iphoto to Aperture and I am quite happy with it although, I do import quite a few images from internet pages and I am finding it a hassle to save the image into my desktop, open up aperture and drag the image into a certain folder. With iPhoto ... (3 Comments)
4/15/10
hi Gary I just purchased Rosettastone and i would like to put a translation widget on my desk top how can i do this with out all the other widgets popping up i would like it to stay on my desktop so i dont have to keep opening it up . — paulie3660 ... (1 Comment)
4/14/10
Hello again Gary. I’ve following your podcast for over a year without posting any questions and this is my second one and on the same week! Background info: I downloaded pararells 15 days trial and bought a windows 7 to install it under parallels, I did not knew that I ... (5 Comments)