MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

4/14/10
Hello again Gary. I’ve following your podcast for over a year without posting any questions and this is my second one and on the same week! Background info: I downloaded pararells 15 days trial and bought a windows 7 to install it under parallels, I did not knew that I ... (5 Comments)
4/13/10
Does anyone know if iMovie 09 creates video that is made for the iPad? I’ve heard that some Final Cut users have had to re-encode to fix problems. Thanks for any thoughts! — Bruce ... (1 Comment)
4/13/10
I’m going to buy one of the new MacBook Pros to replace my first-generation machine. Migration Assistant will be a major player in the move. What to migrate? Obviously I want 95% of my applications. Obviously I want my Documents and Web Receipts folders. Obviously I ... (4 Comments)
4/13/10
Hi Gary, which of the newly updated MBP do you think is the best value (biggest bang for the buck)? I find the with 17″ native res, the font too small. Do you think with new high res on the 15″ the font will also be a bit small like on the 17″? If yes, too bad ... (1 Comment)
4/13/10
Hi, Gary it’s me again and i need this questio solved as soon as possible. Ok i bought a second-hand macbook for this guy recently. Ok i was wondering, how do i change the password? the owner said he forgot it. The computer doesn’t come with the installation disk. Any ... (10 Comments)
4/13/10
I apologize if this question has already been answered. I was wondering what was the best way to track the statistics of my iWeb page and blog (currently hosted by BlueHost and published to mobileme). I have done some research and found that many statistics widgets do not play ... (5 Comments)
4/13/10
Just this evening I realized I couldn’t find a way to adjust the contrast on my iMac and so I scanned the Internet in search of an answer and found this great shortcut: To increase contrast setting: control+option+command+. (period) To decrease contrast setting: ... (5 Comments)
4/13/10
Getting “beach balling” think bad install to 10.6.3 did it, so I want to do a clean install. Have Mac Pro with a separate dedicated HDD with my data. Also have MobileMe. What’s the best way to do this? Don’t need to do an archive and install since system ... (1 Comment)
4/13/10
Hi Gary having external hard drives and so on are still not that safe for backing up. they always could crash in the end. i know there is iDisk, but 20GB is not that enough for me. do u recommend any online service that could help me backup my most important files and data ... (3 Comments)
4/13/10
I am capturing photos from the Google Maps application (street mode) in landscape…but when I view them in my photos folder…they only appear sideways. When I turn my iPad sideways, the photo just readjusts sideways, too. How can this be fixed so you can view your ... (2 Comments)
4/13/10
I am trying to figure out if I need more memory for my MBP. It has 4 gb. When I go to Activity Monitor, I see that there are five different states of memory: Free Wired Active Inactive Used What do these different states mean, particularly Wired and Inactive? I usually have ... (1 Comment)
4/12/10
I am a long time PC user and recent Mac convert. In the PC world I am used to using cookie management software to get rid of spy cookies, etc. What is the best way to manage cookies on the Mac? — Frenchman ... (4 Comments)
4/12/10
Can I arrange open windows in a fan, like a deck of cards? Expose is OK, but I’d prefer seeing them stacked in a fan. — iPop ... (1 Comment)
4/12/10
Hi, i recently bought a second-hand macbook and was wondering, if i reformated it, what are the things i need to have a newly bought computer the default programs? i don’t have time machine or any installation disk. Thanks — John ... (5 Comments)
4/12/10
Hi Gary, many thanks for your podcasts; i move to mac a couple of years back and I have been able to use it better since I follow your podcasts. One thing that is bother me lately is the Computer-to-Computer network. I use it to sync Things on my iPhone and my MacBook Pro (I ... (2 Comments)
4/12/10
I have a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, and sometimes it does not go to sleep per the Energy Saver settings. I’ve asked about this multiple times at the Genius Bar, but no one seems to have a consistent explanation. One Apple Genius thought that my router was keeping ... (5 Comments)
4/12/10
With the release of iTunes 9, there is a new option for Bit Rate Conversion to 128k AAC on the Summary tab when syncing an iPhone or iPod. I turned this one last night, and, after a long initial syncing/conversion process, it almost doubled the amount of free space on my iPod ... (2 Comments)
4/9/10
Hi Gary, i did the automounting another way: – start the network drive – go to settings/user/ starting objects (hope these are the right translations) – add the drive via “+” – it ll do so everytime u start ur mac – negative: there ll be ...
4/9/10
hi gary, I saw someone was having problems with time machine so you recomended super duper, I have been reading up on it and it says it can clone your hard drive,it also says you can make a larger hard drive on your computor, I dont want to do that, can I just connect a external ... (6 Comments)
4/9/10
has anyone else downloaded the new MSN messneger 8.0 for mac? I have and i can not get the audio chat or the video chat to work. iChat works great for AOL but most of my family is on MSN. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks — Michael Dotson ... (1 Comment)