MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/4/16
I recently custom ordered a new iMac and after three days decided I wanted a larger iMac. I tried to change the order with the “Chat” but was told I had to cancel the order, wait a few days and start over. I called the original Apple employee who had helped me (she ... (2 Comments)
2/4/16
Do I need to update the new expiration date or card security code of a credit card, in Wallet? —– Thomas Henderson ... (4 Comments)
2/4/16
We have a large iTunes library, mostly videos. It was too big to fit on the family Mac, so we put it on an external drive connected to our Mac. We unchecked the advanced setting “copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library,” essentially making all our ... (2 Comments)
2/3/16
My step counter and distance in the Health app appears to be in error when compared others in my group. Is there a calibration procedure where this can be checked or set ? —– ChuckD ... (4 Comments)
2/3/16
I want to set several signatures for different emails and be able switch between them, also I want to sign my emails like a handwriting —– Chris ... (5 Comments)
2/3/16
I have many Keynote presentations on my 27″ Mac that I want to export to individual pdf files in a separate directory as 5-up portrait format handouts and then print them double-sided with slide numbers, file name, and date. —– John Cupak ... (4 Comments)
2/1/16
I was having trouble with Mail remembering my passwords. I was in keychain trying to get the old passwords deleted and the current one listed and deleted all the passwords in keychain. I’ve tried going into time machine but am not able to recover them from there. How do ... (4 Comments)
1/29/16
Using El Capitan, OS 10.11.3 on my mid-2010 MacBook PRO. When on a specific large city newspaper website I frequent; have been getting a popup which provides information from another website in my Bookmarks. The popup opens when I am reading, so I click on the close link at ... (1 Comment)
1/28/16
I have a 2009 iMac, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, running El Capitan 10.11.3. I need new wireless headphones to connect with the iMac. Got B&Olufsen H7 wireless. They paired with my iPhone 5S immediately and the sound is wonderful. They paired with the iMac but sound is ... (1 Comment)
1/28/16
I use my Desktop as the location for my work in progress. I keep it managed carefully, so the half dozen or so documents I’m currently woking on are there, all in one place, ready to do. How can I make Finder always open there, so that I don’t have to click down to it ... (2 Comments)
1/27/16
I seem to be getting notifications for Java updates with increasing frequency. I always try to keep all software up-to-date on my Mac, but not only is Java popping up more often, but the update installer wants to change my homepage to Yahoo. It’s to the point where ... (3 Comments)
1/26/16
When I setup paragraph styles in Pages, they never include the “Bullets & Lists” settings that I select. Is there a way to include these settings in a particular style? —– Mac Carter ... (4 Comments)
1/25/16
I pastor a small church. I want to be able to quickly alert members of last minute schedule changes or cancellations due to inclement weather, that sort of thing. I don’t use Facebook. I’ve tried using the Messages app, but it limits me to 20 recipients. Is there ... (2 Comments)
1/23/16
In safari 9, in fullscreen if you move your cursor all the way to the left, it shows the sidebar. Can you figure out how to disable it? Even if it takes a terminal command. A solution would be much appreciated as I’m not the only user who hates this ... (2 Comments)
1/23/16
When I launch my imac I get the notification that time machine could not find a Back-up . Strange, time machine can be lauched perfectly after that and I can recover files. I can launch timemachine and make a Back-up . However after a new restart same notification apears. ... (2 Comments)
1/23/16
I like being proactive about keeping my MAC running well as I travel all the time to foreign countries and without my online resources wonder what the essentials are that I should have along the way. —– Michael Calamia ... (6 Comments)
1/22/16
In my bedroom I have my iMac, an A/V receiver, television and Apple TV. I sometimes ‘broadcast’ my music collection via Airplay to my Apple TV, which plays through my A/V receiver. When using iTunes, Airplay and the Apple TV in this manner where does the ... (1 Comment)
1/22/16
I have a pianist play the verse of a song, I copy it and add it to the project as many times as I want repeated verses. I want to slow down or drag out the last measure of the final verse to create a ritard to complete the song. How do I do that? —– Richard Barnsley ... (1 Comment)
1/22/16
My ipad (mini first model) came with IOS 6 and was updated to IOS7. An attempted backup wiped it out back to IOS6. Is there any way to get to IOS7 or is my only option IOS9. Thank you. —– Chris ... (1 Comment)
1/22/16
On a 2014 MacBook with 500 G SSD, is it realistic to use a 128G mini flush mount thumb drive to extend my internal storage? Or am I just fooling myself that this is a useful path to take? Sure seems a cheap one. —– Ron Reynolds ... (1 Comment)