MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/15/16
Does my Mac need a software security program? If so, what kind would you recommend. —– Debbie ... (1 Comment)
2/14/16
I would like to know if it’s possible in iMovie to fade only one side of a cutaway. For example, if I have two cutaways back to back, I would like to fade in the first cutaway with no fade out. Then the second cutaway I would like to have no fade in, but use the fade out. ... (5 Comments)
2/12/16
What is the best way to scan printed QR codes on a mac mini? I have a Blue USB webcam. What software do I require? —– Chris ... (3 Comments)
2/11/16
All my music on my Macbook Air is organised in playlists, mainly corresponding to albums, but sometimes 2 albums combined into 1 playlist (e.g. full opera). All the music is on the iPod, but I don’t know if there is anyway of organising automatically into same ... (1 Comment)
2/11/16
I wanted to ad the keyboard shortcut to the very top of my iMac. You know alongside the date, time and all of that. Can we do that? Thanks.. —– Michael Lusk ... (1 Comment)
2/11/16
I’m using Yosemite on a Mid-2010 MBP. I’ve searched on Creation Date Modification and found many threads on using “touch” in Terminal, but “touch” apparently doesn’t work for Creation Date in Yosemite. (“touch” does work for ... (7 Comments)
2/11/16
After reading reviews on the App Store, I’m still very concerned about installing Apple’s latest OS X, El Capitan 10.11.3. There are dozens (if not more) of reviews that say, “DON’T DO IT!” They explain horrific experiences that include apps not ... (3 Comments)
2/10/16
I anticipate buying a newer MBP and transferring my data, photos, music etc to the new MBP. I have read about using Migration Assistant and the options it provides. I also realize I can make some data transfers in other ways such as copying and sending the data (I’ve done ... (1 Comment)
2/9/16
Would love to hear directions on how to fix ‘sharing permissions’ on an external drive. I bought an external drive to save all my movies to and can’t save to it. Tells me the permissions are set to read only. I can save my movie and drag and drop it in the drive ... (3 Comments)
2/9/16
I’m trying to speed up the performance of my MacBook Pro system wide, but mostly in Safari which is loading web pages very slow. What is the easiest and quickest way to free up space by deleting system cache files in the Library folder? And would deleting unnecessary cache ... (2 Comments)
2/8/16
Can you recommend a spreadsheet program for my MacBook? I have just upgraded to El Capitain and need spreadsheet for my personal finances. —– bettonli@yahoo.com ... (3 Comments)
2/7/16
I decided to organize my photos using metadata. I have all these old albums that I don’t want. I can’t get rid of them. I’ve tried dragging, delete, delete + command…..nothing works. Help! —– Andrea ... (2 Comments)
2/6/16
I want to switch my iOS devices to a different MBA. For the moment I have an older MBP I use to sync all my iOS devices. I have only one account. I am having troubles with the MBP and anticipate it will fail me soon (it is a mid 2011 15″). I expect to replace it this ... (4 Comments)
2/6/16
I”m trying to cut out an image with my preview. I need it to be a close, custom crop. Not a box crop. I watched your tutorial with Gary on how to do it three different ways using the lasso and the the smart lasso and finally the instant alpha….but it was with snow ... (1 Comment)
2/4/16
HI Garry, I am a long time Converted Mac user and always refer friends to your video # 357 re Do Mac’s need Antivirus Software which I believe is the best informative discussion about Computer Viruses ever published. Will you be doing a refreshed version ... (1 Comment)
2/4/16
iMAC Mail in El Capitan: I have set up the rule in RULES to block any email that contains a certain email address. I checked the box for move the message to the junk folder. Yet, I continue to get mail from this person. Please advise. Thank you. —– Teri ... (4 Comments)
2/4/16
Do you have a suggestion on how to best organize bookmarks/favorites? I am using an iMac and MacBook, each running El Capitan. Also, have several iOS devices running the latest OS. Since these bookmarks/favorites date as far back as 2009, I’m thinking of deleting most and ... (2 Comments)
2/4/16
I set up two mailboxes on my Mac Book. The mail comes into the inbox but not into the individual mail boxes. —– Ray ... (1 Comment)
2/4/16
I have many duplicate photos on my drive but that have different names. I want a way to search by image the same way Google image search does. —– Rabar ... (2 Comments)
2/4/16
A few days ago I updated my iPhone 6s to 9.2.1 Since that update, Whatsapp no longer has access to my contacts. I already reinstalled Wapp but same probl. who can help? thx —– bollekenNp ... (3 Comments)