MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

8/22/13
I followed your tutorial on resizing images, using the automater, which works beautifully btw, and I’d like to send it to a friend, so they can have a copy too P.s. I’ve learnt so much watching your tutorials, thank you! —– Lory ... (3 Comments)
8/22/13
I am sending Keynote files to my students and would like to send them as presentations, wherein when they open it, it automatically plays like a slideshow. What we normally have is when we open the Keynote file, it will open in Keynote and not play automatically. Is there an ... (1 Comment)
8/22/13
I have gotten to the 200 gig size with my iPhoto library. Should I be worried that I will begin to have trouble backing up on Time Machine and that things will get corrupted? I would hate to lose all my precious memories and hard work naming all the events for the past years. Any ... (6 Comments)
8/21/13
I am wanting to get specific value in column c which is dependent on the text in column B. For instance, if cell B3 is XYZ, then I want number 600 to show up in Cell C3. IF cell B3 is ABC, then I want number 1200 to show up in Cell C3? —– Matt ... (2 Comments)
8/17/13
I Numbers, how can I turn this: (555) 123-4567 into this: 555.123.4567 This is the format we use when printing. I don’t care if I need to use an extraneous column that I can copy and paste the original format into as long as it automatically returns the new format in the ... (3 Comments)
8/14/13
I removed te software from my computer but the Icon stays at the top in my task bar and is always announcing that I need to start an update. When i search the Finder I can not get a trace of it. —– Jos Kelgtermans ... (2 Comments)
8/13/13
How do I find clip art to use on my iMac 27? Can you suggest a free link or perhaps a software program like PC PrintMaster? I am new to iMac and Word only has templates…no clip art? Thank you, Cheryle Chandler ... (4 Comments)
7/18/13
I’ve found a table of historical weather data on a web page and I would like to bring it into Numbers so that I can process the information for my own use through graphs, formulas, etc. Is there a relatively easy way to do this importation? Thanks. —– John ... (1 Comment)
7/15/13
I’m aware that Font Book offers nice views of the entire character set in any desired font in your system. But is there a way to see *one specific* character *all at once* displayed in each font. For example, I’d like to be able to see one screen full of thumbnails of ... (2 Comments)
7/1/13
We all know that the best color for subtitles, to get better contrast is to use white letters. Sometimes, if there are very light or white areas on a clip, it’s possible to loose some of the text, because of bad contrast. The other day I saw a short movie, where the author ... (5 Comments)
6/28/13
I have a question about my iPad backup. After opening iTunes and clicking on the iPad Icon in the “devices” box, under options I can back the iPad up to iCloud or “this computer”. Recently I carelessly chose “this computer”. I want to find and ... (3 Comments)
6/23/13
Purchased a month old iPad 4 and it has games, music, etc on it. The seller said it had no passwords on it. While I can use it for most things, to access any updates or some programs it prompts me for an Apple ID. So, how do I change the ID on this iPad 4 from the one he has on ... (2 Comments)
6/21/13
I cannot find the cable for the GE camera. I tried using a USB from another camera, but the GE camera jammed. GE is replacing the camera, but not the cable. I have the memory card. Thanks. —– marilyn ... (7 Comments)
6/20/13
I have over 3000 photos in my iPhoto and it takes a very long time to open. Is there a way I can put the majority of them into a second iPhoto library and keep the most recent ones in the default library? If so, what would be the proper way? —– Younger Phelps ... (5 Comments)
6/19/13
I have a document that should be made with page border and I am using Pages’09. I understand Microsoft Word 2007 has this option, but I prefer to use Pages with my Mac because of the wide array of options I cannot get from Microsoft Office. So, how can I prepare this ... (2 Comments)
6/12/13
I have a Mac book Pro, OS X Lion, purchased in 2012 (my first Mac). It seems I can never locate my Mac’s Dvd drive in ‘finder’, under ‘devices’ or under ‘Places’. It’s also not on my desktop. I’m coming from a heavy windows ... (3 Comments)
6/11/13
When iOS7 was announced today, they immediately were able to tell us which devices would support it (iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iTouch, and which generations, etc.) I have a 24 in. iMac Early 2008 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Mountain Lion needs Mid 2007 or later), so I’m right ... (5 Comments)
6/8/13
Gary, In your recent video on the use of the Get Info feature, you showed an example of the Open With feature. When doing this, we noticed that, for one of the files, your Evernote app was displayed multiple times. Now the third-party Onyx utility provides a way for users to fix ... (3 Comments)
6/3/13
Gary, I want to record only my voice with final cut pro, but use just a picture as the video for it. is this possible? —– Bryan ... (1 Comment)
5/31/13
I am working in the Cards template in Pages. The page is divided into 4 sections by alignment lines (blue) which, I assume, are the cutting lines. Working in one of those sections (this finished section will be copied into the other 3)I have rotated several photos so that some ... (3 Comments)