MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

10/14/10
HI My previous PDA had the possibility to sort contacts by business names. The iPhone4 only gives me 2 choices first name & Last name or Last name & First Name. I noticed that where I would download a photo of the contact, the ckyline of a city shows up. Is there a way ... (2 Comments)
10/13/10
I need to convert avi to mov or mpeg, there are a lot of converters out there. Can you please recommend one that is compatible with my Mac and Iphone. It doesn’t half to be free. Thanks Daniel —– dbu50@aol.com ... (1 Comment)
10/13/10
In “HD/SYSTEM/LIBRARY/PRINTERS” there is support for printer brands I do not use (Brother, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Samsung). These files are using 1.6 GB. Can I simply delete these files to reclaim the 1.6 GB of space? —– Tony Biegler ... (1 Comment)
10/12/10
Hi Gary, I’ve started to use Time Machine recently and I know it does 1h checks and then stores daily and weekly backups. My query is in either the daily or weekly backups, does it store every single change during that period or only the last one on the ... (3 Comments)
10/12/10
I’ve had this problem for over a month. 1/day my iphone stops functioning. the screen shows me the “connect to itunes” picture & it only allows me to make an emergency call. I have to restart the phone & then my photos & mp3’s are back. ... (1 Comment)
10/12/10
I am getting an “error -50” when I try to write to one of my external drives, but I can’t seem to find any information about what that means. How do I find this and figure out what is happening here? —– Todd A. Peperkorn ... (1 Comment)
10/12/10
Hello Mac Most. I have watched alot of your helpful videos, but i have a specific question. I do not know how to publish my ical calendar on the private server using our go daddy account. Can you help with this? We do have a hosting account and i have the login information i just ... (1 Comment)
10/12/10
Gary by blocking in Safari does effect browsing speed? —– Richard ... (1 Comment)
10/11/10
When I bought my iPhone 4 I was told that all I need to do is go to www.apple.com to find tutorial/s on how to use it. I have not been able to find the tutorials. Can anyone help me? —– The Owl ... (6 Comments)
10/11/10
I used someone else’s printer because mine was out of ink. Now when I use software update, it wants to give me an HP printer update (the printer I used once). I do not care for this update nor do I need it. Is there a way to get the HP update to stop appearing in Software ... (1 Comment)
10/11/10
This is a problem we’re having with uploading an Imovie video after mixing it in Garageband. Maybe somebody knows what’s happening. We open the video in garageband, add some mp3 tracks then export to disk. The results play fine on my mac; When we uploaded the .mov ... (1 Comment)
10/11/10
Hi Gary, My wife and I share a MacBook with seperate sign-ins. I have all of our pictures and music on my side and I want her to be able to access them. How do I set up the MB so that both of us have access to our media? Thanks!! —– Jason ... (1 Comment)
10/11/10
How can I reset my iPhone 3GS that I am using as an iPod now that I have an iPhone 4 back to a os 3.xxxx —– Paulie3660 ... (1 Comment)
10/10/10
Someone please explain what is Safari database used for in safari preferences. What MB should it be set at? —– Richard ... (1 Comment)
10/10/10
Hi Gary, I have a 320 GB HDD that I’d been using for Time Machine. I’ve just got a 1 TB that I want to now use for backups…how do I transfer the backups from my 320 to my 1 TB….so that I can free up the 320 and use it for other portable ... (8 Comments)
10/10/10
I have three Western Digital external drives before use what format should I use. Or should they be reformatted. I have a Quad core L7 iMac. —– Richard ... (2 Comments)
10/10/10
Backround: Developer on Windows. Recently bought and enjoying iMac and switching many tasks to Mac. Question; In Windows Explorer, I can sort by image size, many different dates and other metadata entries. Is there a way to do this in OSX? I have TotalFinder which is great but ... (2 Comments)
10/7/10
Hi, Gary. Please, I would like to know, please, create a movie dvd from a movie (.avi) with subtitle (.srt). I mean, I have a movie in .avi and the movie subtitle in .srt. and I want to watch the movie in my dvd player with the subtitle. How could I do that in my macbook? what ... (3 Comments)
10/7/10
I have a new iMac running Vmware Fusion partition software and Windows 7. I want to be able to sync calendar and contact information on my iCal and contacts on the iMac, iPad and Outlook running on the Windows 7 partition. The problem; MobileMe will not sync with the information ... (1 Comment)
10/7/10
I have never been able to transfer photos from my canon rebel xt to my ipad with the camera connection kit. When i remove the SD card from a compact camera and use the camera connecton kit piece it works great. Because the memory card is too big for this I have to use the USB ... (26 Comments)