MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

6/25/10
Hi Gary, I’ve read that some are experiencing problems with the new iPhone 4, such as bad reception. How are your experiences with it so far? I’m thinking about buying one, but I want to be sure that I don’t regret buying it. Also, I’m considering the ... (1 Comment)
6/25/10
hi gary when trying to publish a video directly to youtube via my iphone it does everything then at the end says could not publish to youtube any ideas? — james sommerville ... (4 Comments)
6/25/10
not able to sort photos manually in my events and albums any work-around for this? — Patrick ... (12 Comments)
6/25/10
Hi Gary, I am just out of mobile (cell) range at home and I was wondering if the new iphone 4 with the antenna on the outside of the phone would have a better coverage range than a 3gs? Cheers Dan — Daniel ... (2 Comments)
6/25/10
I have used timed access to limit my kids use of the internet. I encrypt my wireless network with WPA 2. However the setting no longer work, stopped a few months ago. I have reset my Airport extream, reentered the MACs, but I can no longer limit access to the network. What can I ... (1 Comment)
6/24/10
I emailed Steve Jobs and asked if there would be a trade in credit when the 4th gen iPod touch comes out. No response yet. I expect that to have a front and rear facing camera. But what can I do with my 1st gen Touch? The iOS 4 is not compatible and I’m worried about what ... (2 Comments)
6/24/10
I’m new to mac but as a former pc user, I was able to send .gif files in emails and loved the “sparkle” and “animation” that they have but apparently you can’t do this on a mac. Or am I inserting them incorrectly. They all show up as a flat ... (11 Comments)
6/24/10
Am I missing something? I have two external HDs for my imac. A 1TB studio drive that acts a little weird sometimes, but usable when I turn it off then back on. It carries my music and video plus other stuff. I also have a WD 320G passport for a Mac that all of the sudden is ... (4 Comments)
6/24/10
Hi Gary, Thought it better to put a fresh post instead of reply. Imovie is letting me import some .mp4 files but not others….specifically those I created from Handbrake. Does this have anything to do with 64-bit? When I tried to use Handbrake to read my dv, it prompted me ... (1 Comment)
6/24/10
Hi Gary, I have a previously burned dvd that I can’t back up using Disk Utility or rip form Mac the Ripper – the former fails after a while and the latter doesn’t recognise the disk in the drive. But the vob is playing fine from the Video folder. Any ... (3 Comments)
6/23/10
Hi Gary do you know when and if ios 4 for iPad will be out ? — Paulie ... (1 Comment)
6/23/10
I have an iPhone 3G & getting the iPhone 4 on Thursday. With all the apple limitations….. How do I transfer all my purchasd Apps to my new phone ? Will iTunes do all that & what it the best way to do that ? Mabe we need a video — Marnoldi ... (3 Comments)
6/22/10
Hi Gary, Is there a way to delete an update from the software update application? thanks — Carlos M ... (1 Comment)
6/22/10
A friend sent an attachment written on a relic Windows machine ending in the relic .WPS (Microsoft Works, not Word) extension. Is there a program I might likely have on my new Mac that would open it? (Pages, Text Edit, OpenOffice, and MS Word all failed for me.) If not, ... (2 Comments)
6/22/10
Hey Gary, Disk Utility is greta for backing up previously burned DVDs, but I’m looking for a software that can do what DVDshrink does for Windows(creates the less than 4.7 GB ISO)…take a full length original dvd, preferably break the region code, and back it up with ... (1 Comment)
6/22/10
I’d clean my mac mini but this time a flashing light is on, and the mac mini turn off afther 30 sec everything else seams to be working fine. — Alfredo Jaimes ... (1 Comment)
6/22/10
I recently migrated my entire Mac System from a 2009 24″ iMac to a new 2010 27″ iMac (Core 2 Duo), and I cannot open Aperture 3 (it crashes unexpectedly). And I noticed that the system is running 10.6.2 and not 10.6.4, which the 2009 iMac was running. So, did ... (2 Comments)
6/22/10
Hi Gary, Since yesterday my Mail application is working fine for composing and sending emails but it is not refreshing the inbox, despite repeatedly clicking ‘Get New Mail’ I tried everything the Mail Help suggested but no luck. Gmail option is grayed out in the get ... (6 Comments)
6/21/10
Hi, I’ve been trying to move some of my .cdr files created by Disk Utility to my external hard drive Mac partition but it gives Error Code 0 and fails. This has been a problem with Fat32 partitions also but I thought Apple would fix the bug with the new update, but it ... (4 Comments)
6/21/10
In windows if the OS window prompt pops up with options like “Save/Don’t Save/Cancel” or whatever, the tab key switches from one option to the other. What is the equivalent in Mac? So far I have to use the mouse to choose whatever’s not the default ... (3 Comments)