MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/24/10
I use dropbox to share my iTunes database (located on a Western Digital Sharespace NAS) between my Mac Mini and my wife’s MacBook. I tried it with iPhoto, but the performance was terrible. A colleague said that I could simply put the iPhoto library file on the NAS and run ... (4 Comments)
2/24/10
Hi Gary,I have considering buying at some point a Time Machine since it has all the requirements I would want except one, a way to stream music to various speakers like the airport express ability. Is there any product that has the same features as the time machine while also ... (6 Comments)
2/23/10
Gary, When I use the save or save as feature in Word or Photoshop, I can sometimes get the folder I want to show up in the drop down menu at the top of the window, but sometimes I can’t. I don’t understand how to get the folder I want to save things to to show up in ... (1 Comment)
2/23/10
Gary, how do you find the MAC Address for aMacintosh computer? — Rick Torchia ... (1 Comment)
2/23/10
Hi Gary, How do you stop the native MacMail on my Imac or Macbook to STOP asking for a “subject line” prior to sending out an email. How annoying is that? Thanks, PAUL — Paul ... (11 Comments)
2/23/10
Hi Gary, When I first got my mac I started to import all my photos into iPhoto but found that it doesn’t update itself when I add a new photo into the folder and I find it really tedious having to first download my photos into the desktop, then move certain files into ... (7 Comments)
2/23/10
Is there a way to change the mail folder icons within Apple Mail from the default blue folders to other icons? This was help speed up my processing of email and referencing folders. :) I tried searching online, but didn’t find any definitive answer. I have been able to ... (1 Comment)
2/22/10
I am trying to encode some of my videos for iTunes (HD & iPhone) and also for streaming to my Tivo. What is the best file format to use for this? And also, what would a reasonable size be for a typical two hour movie? I encoded one and it was like 20gb. That seems a bit ... (1 Comment)
2/22/10
Hey Gary, wondering if you heard anything like this… I had to turn my iPhone off, but I still use it like a Touch, anyway, when I am at home I have an Airport Extreme and I never get pushes. When I drive to work as soon as I get in range of wifi, I get all my pushes that I ... (4 Comments)
2/21/10
When I set my Mobile Me Sync preferences on my new Macbook, I see syncing to Entourage Notes as a setting. I don’t have Microsoft Office on this computer, although I *did* have it on my last Mac. Now that I’ve left Office behind, I’d rather not see the setting ... (3 Comments)
2/21/10
hi, I saw your podcast 237 on how to restore mail and photos in time machine.Is there any way I can restore something in the trash?Now the trash on my mac is empty, but if I open time machine can I restore trash that was once on my mac? thanks Viki by the way, I really do learn ... (1 Comment)
2/21/10
Do you have recommendations for a top loading…mac compatiable…wireless scanner — Debi Brening ... (5 Comments)
2/20/10
I bought a used PowerBook and I don’t have any of the passwords for it. I bought a new Macbook a year ago and got the Leopard re store disc’s with it. Since then I have upgraded to Snow Leopard on the macbook. Can I use the restore disc from the macbook on the ... (3 Comments)
2/20/10
Just saw and read about dropbox and 1password on Macworld. Couple of questions: If someone hacked into Dropbox could they read my 1password keychain? Or perhaps the keychain is always 128bit AES encrypted and thus protected, even if I emailed the keychain file to myself. They ... (1 Comment)
2/20/10
Just read an opinion piece on Macworld in which the writer questions Google commitment to our privacy. We are used to all these free services from Google, and now with Google Doc’s, Cal, Gmail and of course Google search, if they wanted to they would know much about us. ... (1 Comment)
2/19/10
Hi Gary, Thanks for all the tutorials thus far–great work. I want to start utilizing Dreamweaver instead of iWeb for website designing and I’ve also paid for the yearly subscription for Mobileme. I saw your tutorial for “making websites with mobileme without ... (1 Comment)
2/19/10
HI and I mistakingly closed to first page on Safari. Now, all that I get is a second page with no ability to go back or forth and no refreshing. I already tried downloading Safari again to no avail. I was wondering if anyone knew how to retrieve my first page? Thank you , in ... (3 Comments)
2/19/10
Hello Gary I really enjoy your podcast, i discover it a year ago and i never miss a episode. You have a watcher in the old continent, Timisoara, Romania ;) Now to my problem: Am a recent switcher and i’m having a problem with my iMac vs MacBooks. (or at least i think i ... (2 Comments)
2/18/10
iTunes tells me it has apps to update (4 right now) but when I click the “Updates Available” links at the bottom of the window, the “My App Updates” screen tells me “No Updates Available. Check Again Later.” Clicking Store, Check for Available ... (4 Comments)
2/18/10
I have been tring to import fonts into the Font Book of a G5 but for some reason they’re not showing up. I know they are being copied because they show up in fonts folders in the HD but i can not view them through the Font Book. Also, when i click them in the HD, Font Book ... (3 Comments)